Stereo options (Sound quality) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stereo options (Sound quality)

oakjefferson

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking at ordering a 2013 Explorer (maybe an 2013 Escape, see what the pricing is there). The only thing that was really pushing me towards the limited was the Sony Stereo. I’m looking at the XLT though and it looks like that’s an upgraded standard stereo over the base model.

Could anyone confirm
Base – 6 speaker, no sub
XLT – 8 Speaker, no sub
LTD – Sony 12 speaker + Sub

If that’s the case, can anyone comment on the sound quality between these three trims? I can’t find specs anywhere. I have a 2008 SEL edge with base stereo right now, As long as the XLT stereo is bit better than that, I’ll be golden. I really wish they’d offer the best stereo as an option on all trims (Ford is not the only manufacturer who forces you to buy top trim).

I do not care about MFT or problems – interface is a different issue and I’m at peace that the new version will work as intended. Really just looking for feedback on sound quality.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I’m looking at ordering a 2013 Explorer (maybe an 2013 Escape, see what the pricing is there). The only thing that was really pushing me towards the limited was the Sony Stereo. I’m looking at the XLT though and it looks like that’s an upgraded standard stereo over the base model.

Could anyone confirm
Base – 6 speaker, no sub
XLT – 8 Speaker, no sub

If that’s the case, can anyone comment on the sound quality between these three trims? I can’t find specs anywhere. I have a 2008 SEL edge with base stereo right now, As long as the XLT stereo is bit better than that, I’ll be golden. I really wish they’d offer the best stereo as an option on all trims (Ford is not the only manufacturer who forces you to buy top trim).

I do not care about MFT or problems – interface is a different issue and I’m at peace that the new version will work as intended. Really just looking for feedback on sound quality.

Thanks
I can confirm your numbers are correct only by going with the 2011 brochure that I have. I have the Limited and can honestly say it is the best sound system that I have had in a vehicle. Of course this can also be a controversial subject since everyone's opinion is based on personal taste. I have not compared it to the base or XLT systems. You are probably best off by going to a dealer that has these models in stock and hearing it for yourself.
Welcome, oakjefferson. :wavey: I see this is your first post.

Peter

While not owning an Ex, I have spent quite a bit of time sampling them on the lot. It's nice that the stereos work even without a key.

With the XLT, I was impressed with the bass response and clarity. When we cranked it up, the doors really got to moving. The mids and highs weren't as clear.

With the Limited, the mids and highs were of better quality. The bass, while definitely there (lots of thump), sounded a bit muddled to me. I'm not a monster bass kind of guy, but even with the bass turned down, it never cleared up (to my ear). IMO, they went for volume at the sacrifice of clarity. I think that it would have worked better in a home theater than a car stereo.

Overall, I'd say it was a pretty good stereo in the Limited. I am comparing this to my wife's Forester factory system with the subwoofer and tweeter option. That car has the best sounding factory car stereo I have ever heard.

If you are just looking for an improvement over your current stereo, I think either would suit you. My suggestion to you is to go to the dealership and give the stereos a listen yourself. Crank them up and adjust all of the sound settings. Like I said, the stereos turn on even without the keys in the car, so just find some unlocked ones and give them a listen! Regardless of what opinions you find on this board, your own ears will give you the best advice :)

I'm with Peter, the Sony system in our Limited is by far the best sounding stock system I've ever had/heard in a car.

I have an XLT and also drove a rented limited for a while while repairs were being made to the XLT. Honestly, I really didn't care for the Sony. Even after adjusting the bass, mid and treble, it just didn't sound right. Perhaps I was just too used to the XLT and non HD radio. I believe the Sony is HD and the XLT is not, but either way, I'm glad I have the XLT. We also have a 2001 Explorer, the 2011 Explorer sound system is night and day difference from the 2001.

The Sony system w/ sub should be available for the XLT (for those who want a premium audio system but, don't need/want all the equipment the Ltd has). It was big in the past.

I have the XLT and the sound is great. It's very clear and the bass is nice and tight. Far better sound than any other new car I've owned. I like to turn it up loud and it's definitely loud, but the clarity is still there. Haven't heard the Sony HD system in the Limited, but honestly, unless you are a complete audiophile you will be more than happy with the XLT stereo.

I have to disagree... I find the sony system disappointing. My previous vehicles include a 1998 Jeep Grand with the infinity system and a 2003 audi with the Bose system. Both of those systems were far superior to the sony system in my Limited.

Hello,

Could anyone confirm
Base – 6 speaker, no sub
XLT – 8 Speaker, no sub

Thanks

As many have suggested this is very subjective.

Do yourself a favour, go to the dealer with music you like, sit in an XLT and a Limited, then decide yourself.

IMHO the Limited Sony system is a great system.

The Sony system w/ sub should be available for the XLT (for those who want a premium audio system but, don't need/want all the equipment the Ltd has). It was big in the past.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Glad to hear confirmation there is a difference in stereo between base and XLT.

To LeFurg - I agree it should be but unforunatly, same as the Edge, they won't let you build like this

As many have suggested this is very subjective.

Do yourself a favour, go to the dealer with music you like, sit in an XLT and a Limited, then decide yourself.

IMHO the Limited Sony system is a great system.

By the way, I did exactly this. I brought a flash drive with a couple songs. The difference was very subtle, but it was there. In my opinion the big difference is the HD radio vs the regular radio. I'm loving the quality of the HD stations.

Bose? BOSE? Did someone in this thread utter that dirty word? :D

VinceL

I'll be the first to slam Bose. Overpriced, underperforming etc. I've spend A LOT of money over the years on top level car audio, home theatre speakers etc. and have never purchased Bose by choice. The system in the Audi Allroad was very good.

The Sony system sounds excellent with very distinct music ie, very distinct bass verses lyrics and highs. It is more complex music that the system, IMHO, doesn't handle well and muddles it.

I also wish it had a bit more power. When you really turn it up, it basically tops out at about 80% of the volume control and could stand to have a bit more oomph. I don't regularly blast the system, but on some days after a very good or bad day at work I crank it and think... oh come on baby, give me another 5db.

And I'm a middle age desk jockey not a head banger...

I love the sound system in the my Explorer Limited. Of course, I came from a 4 speaker system in my old truck. :).

One think I wish the explorer had was pre-set sound options. I don't necessarily know what sounds good for different type of music, nor do I want to go through all the Bass/Mid/Treble options every time I change music types. A "talk/rap/rock/country/etc" preset would be perfect! maybe in the much anticipated update...

Can't go wrong with the Sony system, love the sounds, but your ear will be the final factor in your decision. Let's face it I'm old so anything sounds good now a days.

The home audio guys say that it takes many, many hours for a new speaker to "break-in" and start sounding its best. I think they also recommend not blasting the speaker at full volume for the initial break-in period.

I was/am happy with the quality of the sound in the Limited. I don't love the controls and the lack of audio processing but really they don't get used that much anyway. I do wish they would give us some discrete equalizer control rather than simple bass and treble. I guess the engineers do their best to tune the system and we would just mess it up. - And that is not being sarcastic!

The bass on the XLT MyFord Touch audio (8 speaker) sounds like it has a subwoofer, but it doesn't. It is perfectly fine for me. VERY deep bass.

Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like the 8 speaker setup on the xlt will be more than enough. Only complaint now is I can't pay for push button start as an option like I can on mid trim edge sel.

To truly hear how good your sound system is,position all tone controls at "0".Listen to it in that mode.Gradually add some treble(highs),until you start hearing the cymbals.Then adjust the bass(lows),to blend,not overpower the rest of the sound......Check it out!Let me know how you like it.These adjustments should be made at the max volume,that you listen to your music.......Enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got an XLT and am not happy with the sound quality. Ended up adding a small subwoofer which helps the bass but the highs are flat and lifeless.

If I could choose again, I would go for a Limited, just for the sound. No doubt.

Back