stereo problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stereo problem

papa1930

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0 2wd
I have a stereo issue.
Had my 1996 XLT 5.0 worked on for linkage issues.
The guy replaced a couple of plastic bushings so he had the steering column apart.
When I got it back immediately 3 of my 4 speakers didn't work, only the right rear still does.
Also whenever I hit a large bump in the road I lose power to the stereo but it comes back on immediately.

Does this sound like a short or loose connection?

thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you have radio controls in your steering wheel? If so maybe the plastic warped or broke when he pulled the module out, or he forgot to plug it in or pinched a wire.

I'd take it back to the guy who worked on it (especially) if you paid him for the work.

Thanks for replying J_C.

I assume you have radio controls in your steering wheel? If so maybe the plastic warped or broke when he pulled the module out, or he forgot to plug it in or pinched a wire.

I don't think I do have radio controls there.
The only controls on my steering wheel are........"rsm, set accel, & coast" on the right side of the wheel and..."on & off" on the left side.
That's only cruise control correct?

Yes that's not radio. I can only speculate that possibly the same wiring harness is used whether there are the stereo controls in the wheel or not, that something he did damaged that wiring, or maybe he was under the dash too and knocked the radio connector (in the back of it) loose which is something you could check yourself, along with lying upside down into the floor well with a flashlight looking for signs of any problem.

It seems more like a loose connector to me because on the one hand you only lose some speaker output but on the other the power itself goes out. If that's not it then I'd contact him.

I finally realized that the bottom of the stereo itself is loose.
If I take my hand and push the bottom in all the other 3 speakers start playing, so that's where the loose 'whatever' is.
Where the radio itself goes in the dash.

Is there a tutorial/video for removing a stereo from a '96 Explorer anywhere?
I may just buy a new stereo and put it in if I have to take this one out/apart.

And how do I tell how big of a stereo I can install?
Do they call it 1din or 2din?
Or is that something else?

Stereo itself being loose doesn't necessarily make speakers not work, I suspect the plug in the back is loose.

There's a tool to remove it, U-shaped that goes into holes on the sides to force friction clips away. A bent coat hanger will work. Search Ford Stereo Removal on youtube to see how to use the holes on the side (or see link below), or IIRC you can pull the whole bezel around it off then use more conventional tools.

New stereo needs need wiring harness adapter too. I would first pull the stereo since you need to do that anyway, then see if the plug is just loose. This could be a simple 5 minute repair. Beware that the bezel around it uses friction tabs that get brittle over the years. One or two of the tabs on mine broke and I ended up epoxying them back in with standard clear 30 minute epoxy... which seems to have held up fine as this happened maybe 10+ years ago.

Anyway, if you try to pull the bezel I would do it on a warm day, or run the heater for a while to get it warmed up since plastic gets even more brittle when it's cold.

Thanks for replying J_C!
I have an aftermarket Pioneer stereo in my Explorer at this time.
And I'm in Houston so it's still in the high 80's-90 during the day.
Although we've finally started getting some cooler nights the past week or so.
Yayyyyyyy!

^ I've no idea how an aftermarket was mounted. There's probably someone who makes a bracket to adapt it but whether the installer used one or rigged it somehow (which seems likely if it's loose), then it's hard to say what needs to happen to remove it.

Being aftermarket if the proper adapter harness wasn't used, the installer might have also cheaped out and hand grafted the wiring, which done right should work find but if it was just twisted together and taped over instead of a proper soldering job covered with headshrink tubing, that would also explain a loose connection that gets better when the radio is moved around, and will be more of a PITA to fix.

Back