• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Wiring Harness Doesn't Fit

andrewhill913

Reaction score
City, State
Winder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
I have a 2006 Explorer base and attempted to replace the stereo with an aftermarket piece. I purchased a wiring harness that said it was compatible , however the second adapter did not fit at all, and I can't find any wiring harness that will fit. Attached are photos showing the primary wire harness where everything connected fine, and then the second plug where my harness does not fit. Any help is appreciated.
20220902_190200.jpg
20220902_190155.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2006 Explorer base and attempted to replace the stereo with an aftermarket piece. I purchased a wiring harness that said it was compatible , however the second adapter did not fit at all, and I can't find any wiring harness that will fit. Attached are photos showing the primary wire harness where everything connected fine, and then the second plug where my harness does not fit. Any help is appreciated.View attachment 433967View attachment 433968
where did you get that adapter

You have the wrong adapter. You can always cut them both off and just wire it up.

IF you cut both adapters and just hard wire it, it theoretically works. BUT you will have several dozen loose wires and a real possible electronic nightmare. Some wiring color codes do not line up, and some wires are not used. IMHO, clipping the adapters would be trouble.

Get the correct adapter.

Good luck.

Ya to add on I would absolutely label everything and crimp connectors on the ends

Of course getting the correct adapter is simple but you still need to wire in the adapter/harness anyways.

Yes, but at least you are working on the new stereo wires, OR the (correct) adapter wires.

NOT the wiring harness that runs behind your dashboard. You could cause yourself some serious headaches with that.

Good luck, and drive safe.

I used to always cut and solder/crimp everything. I’ve made hundreds of wiring harnesss, and still prefer to buy them now.

You couldn’t find your correct harness at Crutchfield?

^^^^Or any of the audio stores?

Back