Stereo wiring harness | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Stereo wiring harness

spartanmaga

Reaction score
City, State
charlton, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have a 2003 explorer xlt. I am replacing the factory premium stereo system (AM/FM/CD/Cassette) with a new SONY system.

The issue I have is that the original stereo has two wire harnesses that plug into it. one is a wide rectangular shape and the other is more of a square shape with only two wires going to it.

All of the wiring harnesses I have seen matchup with the long recangular harness, but not with the small square harness. Does anyone know what the 2 wires in that second harness go to?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2003 explorer premium sound system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

aaronajb1981

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLS
If i remember correctly you sould have the controls for the rear seat?? if so that is what the other harness is for. you do not need it. those controls are obsolete when using an aftermarket radio

Lube

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
You'll also need a harness to bypass the factory amp, you won't need it anymore.

spartanmaga

Reaction score
City, State
charlton, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Thank you all for the information. Do you know where I can get a harness to bypass the amp?

spartanmaga

Reaction score
City, State
charlton, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Thanks for the information! Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Explorer harnesses?

boy down the st.

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just joined this great place and I need HELPPPPPP.. My dumb friend was putting a sony radio in my 01 ford explorer sport, he said he knew what he was doing. Well guess he didn't and he cut all my wires from the factory harness all the way to the clip so that there is NO WAY it can EVER be put back on. Can anyone help???? It also now has the anti theft light on and it will not start. PLease anyone know what I can do to get it wired right agin??????????????????????????????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

kimm2381

Reaction score
City, State
Tulalip, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hi everyone I just joined this great place and I need HELPPPPPP.. My dumb friend was putting a sony radio in my 01 ford explorer sport, he said he knew what he was doing. Well guess he didn't and he cut all my wires from the factory harness all the way to the clip so that there is NO WAY it can EVER be put back on. Can anyone help???? It also now has the anti theft light on and it will not start. PLease anyone know what I can do to get it wired right agin??????????????????????????????????:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

This is probably way too late... Have a REAL electrician re-wire it and bill it to your friend. You could also take him to court.... Thats just about as dumb as dumb gets