• Register Today It's free!

Stereo wiring help is needed.

D.ROCHE

Reaction score
City, State
Middleborough MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Ok, so I have a 1997 ford explorer with the typical jbl system i believe. Im putting in a kenwood deck, and i cut off the connectors. So, when I replaced the speakers, i noticed that the wire that is in the back of each of the speakers are of a different color than the ones coming out of the dash. The deck has power it turns on and my subs work, i just cant figure out the colors for the speakers. They aren't typical. Help would be nice, and pictures are availible. help please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grab the schematic:
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...ration-1995-96-explorer-audio-schematics.html

There is an amplifier between head unit and speakers.

That reference to those diagrams are like "Money Shots", they're great and should be a sticky here somewhere. The diagrams for different radio and setups really show you how confusing Ford made it for us to change, add or replace the stock equipment without almost being an engineer. Thanks Scucci, I downloaded them all for future reference.:thumbsup:

SO would I have to bypass it?
You have the option to either bypass it or take the time to incorporate the factory amplifier into the setup. It is entirely up to you and the time you are willing to invest in it.
Running the speaker wire from the head unit to the individual speakers will be straining as you have to run it through the doors (Which is always a pain).
But, taking the to wire up the factrory amplifier again just takes mental patience.

Both options will probably take the same amount of time.

Back