• Register Today It's free!

stereo wiring

filb

Reaction score
City, State
gold coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer uz
Hi all can anyone point me in the right direction as to what colour wire im looking for i am wanting to put an aftermarket stereo in my ex and somebody has done this before me and the factory harness was cut out ive located all the speaker wires and most of the power wires but am looking for the factory amp wire i have no idea what color wire or wires im needeing to find can anyone help with the colors please
Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Th factory amp for what? The subwoofer?

You looking for the 'trigger lead' or looking to install an amp? Unclear what your asking o_O

I think you are looking for a red wire with a black tracer. Do you have a test light or multimeter? I would just cut the amp out of the circuit and and power them from the deck. It’d give the best sound quality. You could use an aftermarket amp too, but that’d be the most work.

I agree with @Mbrooks420, cut out the stock amp and install your own amp of choice. Get a good head unit with good output to power your surrounding speakers.

If you have the factory 8" sub box in the rear passenger panel, there are a few speakers that will fit and the sound is pretty good.

Something I did for my sport - maybe this will help create some ideas.

Gen2 - Simple - Sound System Upgrade

I think you are looking for a red wire with a black tracer. Do you have a test light or multimeter? I would just cut the amp out of the circuit and and power them from the deck. It’d give the best sound quality. You could use an aftermarket amp too, but that’d be the most work.
How do you cut the amp out of the circuit i cant even find it ive been told its in the passenger kick panel drivers side over here it that true?

Its in the rear cargo area behind the right side panel. Are you sure you have an amp? Not all of them do, I don’t think. Do you have a factory sub?

Its in the rear cargo area behind the right side panel. Are you sure you have an amp? Not all of them do, I don’t think. Do you have a factory sub?
I dont know if i have a factory amp or a factory sub for sure i will take the panels off today and have a look to be certain
The reason i think i have a factory sub is the stereo im putting in came from my old car and worked fine and the old stereo i took from the ex worked ok but when i pit the new stereo in i get no sound and the old wiring for old stereo was all over the place and pretty much just fell apart so i didnt get to see what went where and have managed to get power and speaker wires sorted but still no sound which is why i think there is a factory amp does this make sense?

You can bypass it at the amp if you don’t want to rewire the speakers.

Yes. Wire the signal inputs to the output side of the wires. If you power the red/blk wire it *might* work. I wouldn’t want to use the factory junk, however.

Back