Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
She sits at about 6' 8" right now. ;)

go to know, mine sits at 6'11" with the roof rack :rolleyes:

and 26" at the door seal, Other wish knowen as the high water line, What is your door bottom at??????

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That width is right about perfect too. Lookin great! Now I need to get back home so I can work on mine! :p

section525 said:
That width is right about perfect too. Lookin great! Now I need to get back home so I can work on mine! :p

Actually the front tires will probally stick out another inch or two. I did not have the rotors on yet.

Looks really good :thumbsup:

great job so far

she looks purdy so far. good work!

Went over and worked on the truck a bit tonight. Th u-joint on the axle shafts are being a huge pain :mad: Got the ball joints tighted up and the TRE for the sterring reemed. Thats about it. Will have to see how far we get this weekend :rolleyes:

You'll be way ahead of me after this weekend. The in-laws are coming into town.. but it's not like I have a steering box or anything I can do.. or anything. :p

I'll have to live vicariously through you. :cool:

FROADER said:
remember it's a three day weekend... ;)

Son of a! That means my box won't be here till at least Tuesday?!? I may have to buy another Explorer tomorrow. :(

Don't feel bad section, I lose Saturday, because I have to go to a 1 year olds birthday party, and they arn't even family :rolleyes:

Does anyone know, do the inner bearings get pressed on to the spindle? Mine look like they should go all the way on, but they stop at the last step on the spindle. :(

I know the bearing goes in the hub, and then the seal goes on, but when you put in on the spindale does the hub bolt just pull it in? :confused:

FROADER said:
Man Stic, your schedule is getting screwed by babies again...? :) :p

Yeah this one is my wife co-workers kid :rolleyes: However I did get out of a birthday party on monday. I told them I have to work on my truck :D

Stic-o said:
Does anyone know, do the inner bearings get pressed on to the spindle? Mine look like they should go all the way on, but they stop at the last step on the spindle. :(

I know the bearing goes in the hub, and then the seal goes on, but when you put in on the spindale does the hub bolt just pull it in? :confused:
The bearing races should be pressed into the rotor/hub assembly, but the bearing itself should just slide up against the large step on the spindle. You got a whole rebuild kit so everything should match right? Because there are big and small (inner) bearing spindles.

Jefe said:
The bearing races should be pressed into the rotor/hub assembly, but the bearing itself should just slide up against the large step on the spindle. You got a whole rebuild kit so everything should match right? Because there are big and small (inner) bearing spindles.

Yeah I got the whole kit. I figured out which bearing is which (pretty easy) but it looked like the rotor could go on farther.

7D44SPINDLE.JPG

The bearing stops at the the last step. So jefe your saying this is correct? I just wasn't sure if it went all the way on flush up against the hat on the spindale.

Day 14: The end is near

The end of the tunnel is starting to show. Today we got the RA mounts figured out, and got the front axle all put togehter. It really starting to come together! :thumbsup:

We made some modifications to the stock RA mounts :D

RA_mount.jpg

This gets the mounts up farther and gave us a much better angle. We will run 1/4" angle to mount it to the side of the frame, and run a piece to of flat stock to box it all in on the outer side. We found the piece now flexed a little, when we we let the arm go to the ground.

arm.jpg

arm2.jpg

When we let the arm down it went to the ground :D The cener of the hub was 17" when it was level. Now it's on the ground :p

flex.jpg

I'm glad I didn't put anymore back spacing on the wheels. She's getting a bit close :cool:

tight.jpg

She's a bit wide there Captin! Dead Link Removed

wide.jpg

truck.jpg

Cool beans :cool:

You can never have enough jackstands when doing an SAS huh Stic.

DB_1 said:
Cool beans :cool:

You can never have enough jackstands when doing an SAS huh Stic.

You got that right ;) The beams are acyually 1 of 2. There are for a Camper normally :D

Finally some progress! :D I am still looking for a way to get the front end high enough to be able to roll the axle with tires in and out.

Stic-o said:
When we let the arm down it went to the ground :D The cener of the hub was 17" when it was level. Now it's on the ground :p
Sweet! With some 14-15" travel shocks and some soft springs you'll be flexing better than me. :eek: :cool:

The RA mounts ended up at a great location on the frame :thumbsup:

And are those 3/4 ton TRE's? Those things look huge!

Back