Stickey Manual shifter? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Stickey Manual shifter?

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
I have a manual trans and up until now the shifter has been really smooth, but in the last couple of days it seems to stick, and I have to force it into gear. I'm pretty sure it's not a clutch issue because i'm not hearing any grinding or anything. Any thoughts?

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
yes
first check the condition of the bushings in the shifter mount (see Rock rangers recent build thread for pics of how bad they get, what replacements look like)

check the condition of the rubber plugs on top of your 5 speed

check the fluid level

Then suspect the clutch, when your slave cylinder goes south, the drive disc gets worn out, or the pressure plate gets worn out the clutch will not open fully, making it harder and harder to get your trans into gear.