sticking injector(s) or bad temp sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sticking injector(s) or bad temp sensor?

Darian Key

Reaction score
City, State
Reford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford explorer
I have a 97 xlt 4.0 ohv and it runs fine on cold starts but on warm starts it hesitates really bad and smells like its running REALLY rich. If I get it to operating temp it runs perfect but the second I shut it off and immediately turn it back on it just hesitates badly, surges and like I said smells really rich. I've been having this issue since I got it and when I got it I had just revived it from sitting 9-10 months. If its a sticking injector what kind of cleaners can I use without having to actually remove the injectors? Anyway let me know what you guys think. I've replaced the IAC, tested the tps (good), fixed all vacuum leaks, replaced upper intake manifold gasket, done fuel filter, tune up, pcv valve, and only code that comes up is the bank 1, sensor 2 fault.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you considered replacing the upstream o2 sensors? they're good for about 100-120k and can make your run rich when they go bad. some other considerations are thermostat or coolant temp sensor.

Haven't done that nope. I thought when they go bad that's when issues start. The easiest right now is the temp sensor I guess. I'm really getting sick of this thing, it has given me nothing but problems and hasn't ran right since I got it

Haven't done that nope. I thought when they go bad that's when issues start. The easiest right now is the temp sensor I guess. I'm really getting sick of this thing, it has given me nothing but problems and hasn't ran right since I got it

yes, you can start running rich when warm.

Back