• Register Today It's free!

Still Deciding

feman

Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Limited Exepedition
I pretty much gave up on the explorer with all its problems and front end noise that nobody can fix. Seriously considering the 2021 VW Atlas instead. Ford says they will be addressing the problems. What does that mean exactly? I was looking at the Platinum without the Ipad in the dash so I pretty much have to order one so it would be freshly built. Have the problems been worked out after being shut down for months and having time to revaluate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are apprehensive about something being garbage why would you spent money on it?

No one here is going to be able to tell you anything substantial about their current reliability.

During the shutdown they were trying to figure out how to pay all their bills. I’m sure it wasn’t spent worrying over how to make their new model any better.

I took delivery of my Platinum in late November, -0- issues with the suspension, transmission, electrical systems, noise. Go for it.

If you are apprehensive about something being garbage why would you spent money on it?

No one here is going to be able to tell you anything substantial about their current reliability.

During the shutdown they were trying to figure out how to pay all their bills. I’m sure it wasn’t spent worrying over how to make their new model any better.
They have known about the problems since the 2020 started coming off the assy line. Been so bad with dealer buy backs and shipping 1000's of vehicles to Detroit to be re inspected because Chicago is a **** show. You don't think they spent any time "worrying" on how to make the vehicle better? I would hope they have been doing that since day 1.

I took delivery of my Platinum in late November, -0- issues with the suspension, transmission, electrical systems, noise. Go for it.
Did you go with the tech package? They don't make any really without it as far as I can see. Id have to order one at this stage. Wonder if its worth a 3-4 month wait.

They have known about the problems since the 2020 started coming off the assy line. Been so bad with dealer buy backs and shipping 1000's of vehicles to Detroit to be re inspected because Chicago is a **** show. You don't think they spent any time "worrying" on how to make the vehicle better? I would hope they have been doing that since day 1.
Tell that to the original v6s that had TERRIBLE transmissions for 15 solid years.

Same story for me with the ST. Purchased in Nov, no issues.

I pretty much gave up on the explorer with all its problems and front end noise that nobody can fix. Seriously considering the 2021 VW Atlas instead. Ford says they will be addressing the problems. What does that mean exactly? I was looking at the Platinum without the Ipad in the dash so I pretty much have to order one so it would be freshly built. Have the problems been worked out after being shut down for months and having time to revaluate?
If ordering, you would have to order a 2021. The final date for 2020 orders was April 3rd. Production for the 2021 will start September 21st.

Peter

Yes, I went full boat, wanted the larger wheels and large screen.🤠 Oh yea, and massaging seats.

If ordering, you would have to order a 2021. The final date for 2020 orders was April 3rd. Production for the 2021 will start September 21st.

Peter
Well that solves all my decisions. Thank You. So ford shut down the 2020 explorer assy line until September? Curious where you found that information.

They publish model available ordering dates. I’m sure a google search would turn it up.

Well that solves all my decisions. Thank You. So ford shut down the 2020 explorer assy line until September? Curious where you found that information.

Peter

Assembly line never shuts down for more than a week or two during Christmas and July 4th. They go straight from building 20s to building 21s. They enter a phase at some point called balance out, where they build what they have to for whatever reason - build all the 20 orders and make sure they get done, use up all the parts etc.

The 21s may even get mixed in with some of the 20s and built the same day.

If you are serious about buying one, call your dealer and see if you can do it or not. That date was in the middle of Covid shutdown, so who knows? Or find one already built and have your dealer get that one.

I believe the assembly line was shut down for about 30 days when going from the 5th gen to the 6th gen as it required many changes for the new vehicle. Unless there are changes from one model year to another, the transition should be fairly smooth.

Peter

I believe the assembly line was shut down for about 30 days when going from the 5th gen to the 6th gen as it required many changes for the new vehicle. Unless there are changes from one model year to another, the transition should be fairly smooth.

Peter
Oh, for sure, but with respect to this thread, it's just a VIN roll. Mostly building what they built last year. 99% of the people wouldn't know the difference between a 20 and a 21.

Oh, for sure, but with respect to this thread, it's just a VIN roll. Mostly building what they built last year. 99% of the people wouldn't know the difference between a 20 and a 21.
I'd like it if they offered the 14 speaker sound system as a stand alone option without the huge display. Cant do the Ipad thing

I'd like it if they offered the 14 speaker sound system as a stand alone option without the huge display. Cant do the Ipad thing
You’d probably be better off just upgrading whatever speakers the model you like comes with. 14 speakers is really just a gimmick, it’s not at all needed.

I love the larger screen and it doesn't take long to get used to it. It definitely keeps you from looking down and taking your eyes off the road. Also, you scroll down less for certain menus and settings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took delivery of my Star White Platinum in August of 2019. I have had no issues with the vehicle, other than the streaky wipers. It's a blast to drive, compared to my former '97 XLT. More turbos=more power.

I have the tech package, and the large "iPad" display. It was a little odd in the beginning, but now, I find it's better than what I used to use (a phone on a holder) for navigation etc. I can do Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as well, so if I still want to use phone apps, I can.

Back