Still getting a P0174. Help!

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I recently replaced my O2 sensors about 1500-3000 miles ago and that took care of my P0174 code. Well it just came back. I am clueless at where to start as most vacuum leaks come as a P0171 and P0174. I have only the one code.

In case you don't know a P0174 is bank 2 too lean.

This is getting very frustrating as I've dropped a lot of money into fixing this issue and nothing is solving it... :mad:

Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the same problem! I drive a '96 V6 OHV. It seems like I've tried just about everything! I've heard problems with the manifold gaskets leaking, so maybe that can help you out. If you already fixed the problem, I would love to know so I can fix mine up too!

I actually did just figure it out. The intake gaskets were bad and my replacement oxygen sensor was throwing the code. Replaced both of em and have been code free since.

Awesome! I'm definitely going to give it a shot! It's pretty much the last option anyways!

Well I cursed myself. Tonight it came back :( Im starting to have an extreme dislike towards Explorers. They never can be fixed..... :mad:

It's not difficult to inspect the underside of the PCV elbow.
Why not check? Sounds like you've done everything else.
I've heard on occasion a faulty coil will throw a P0171/174. GL

As far as checking the pcv elbow, Ive sprayed carb cleaner on there to see if I could get the motor to surge. I did check it out 800 miles ago when I did new intake manifold gaskets.

Maybe the intake manifold bolts came loose. I know that I had mine replaced when I had my head gaskets done, and every other gasket. I guess they can unwind and loosen themselves, so I would check that out too since you changed your intake gaskets. Mine is heading to the garage soon to have them retourqued, so fingers crossed that P0174 is gone for good!

Ford has tsb for reprogramming pcm for lean or rich codes. This may be your fix.
Printable View (6 KB)
TSB
04-22-11 MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) P0172, P0175, P0171 AND/OR P0174 - 4.0L SOHC ENGINE - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 10/4/2004

Publication Date: October 28, 2004

FORD: 2004-2005 Explorer
MERCURY: 2004-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 04-19-7 to update the vehicle model years and DTC information.

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 10/4/2004 with the 4.0L SOHC engine, may exhibit the MIL illuminated with one or more of the following DTC's:

P0172 - SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 1)
P0175 - SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 2)
P0171 - SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 1)
P0174 - SYSTEM TOO LEAN (BANK 2)

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B33.10 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
042211A Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram Powertain Control Module 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

It's not difficult to inspect the underside of the PCV elbow.
Why not check? Sounds like you've done everything else.
I've heard on occasion a faulty coil will throw a P0171/174. GL

what he said. seems like this is a common problem. it is so easy to fix.

Turns out it was a dirty MAF sensor. I paid ford $53 to figure it out :(

Cleaning the IAC, throttle body, and MAF, should be considered routine maintenance.
If you got a $53 diagnostic from the dealer, consider yourself lucky. Glad you solved it.

Back