Still missing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still missing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the plugs,wires,and ignition coil.and it's still missing.please help,I have a 1994 Ford explorer XLT 4.0 engine 4x4
If you haven’t changed the fuel filter I would. Mine missed a bunch and I replaced mass air flow , tps sensor , throttle position valve and it didn’t get any better until I replaced the fuel filter

Thanks but I had 2 of the new wires switched around.ibgitbt running normal now
so solved then? Good! Occam wins again.
even though I and 1sicbronconut suggested cable order, don't feel bad. I've "been sure!" before on that cable order. hours gone, humility earned.

so solved then? Good! Occam wins again.
even though I and 1sicbronconut suggested cable order, don't feel bad. I've "been sure!" before on that cable order. hours gone, humility earned.
Oh I know how it is bud,even though I laid em out how they came off I still mixed em up

Did I miss the mileage?? How many?? Did you really have a miss before you piled it on with replacement parts or did you honestly introduce a misfire/hiccup with the 'new' parts?

The plug order was probably wrong all along causing the initial miss the new parts didn’t fix.

But still.it needed the new wires plugs and coil
Not disputing your assessment of the parts being necessary. Point out that if your ceck engine light/ malfunction indicator lamp didn't illuminate while driving, during the time your engine was missing due to incorrect cable orientation, then your on board diagnostic system is not operating correctly.

Now that you have it running correctly, you may try disconnecting a cable , to try to force a trouble code. If that light doesn't come on, it warrants investigation. Either way, good you got it running smooth.

Not disputing your assessment of the parts being necessary. Point out that if your ceck engine light/ malfunction indicator lamp didn't illuminate while driving, during the time your engine was missing due to incorrect cable orientation, then your on board diagnostic system is not operating correctly.
Meaning what exactly??I need a new PCM?

Is this explorer fuel injected? If so did you consider that you may have a clogged or misfiring injector? You could do the seafoam cleaning and it will clean your injectors.

Meaning what exactly??I need a new PCM?
If the pcm is conlusively determined to be the root cause , I would not try to replace it if the vehicle is operating correctly in every other way.
Of course easiest method of determining conclusively is known good on hand to swap test.

The cause should be determined , especially if you can't force it to illuminate by deliberate malfunction condition.

We just love a success story! Thanks for up dating your status.

I've had to fix that concern quite a few times back in the day for owners that replaced their own plugs/wires and were sure they did in correctly :) For the folks that were wondering about a check engine light a 94' would be EEC IV/OBD1 so it doesn't have a misfire monitor so no P300 type codes until EECV came to be you might see codes caused by the misfires like a rich code though.

it doesn't have a misfire monitor
you might see codes caused by the misfires like a rich code though.
True. Do you not believe such a code ancillary to misfire condition though, would be thrown if not within a few minutes of idle, certainly within a few minutes of driving? This has been my experience. in my '94.

I changed the plugs,wires,and ignition coil.and it's still missing.please help,I have a 1994 Ford explorer XLT 4.0 engine 4x4

94 4x hows ur diff... do you hear it grind or knock. The sound. Upload the sound. I specialize in 1992 to 2006. 👌

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure you are running regular octane gasoline and double platinum plugs with correct heat range.
These engines don't run high octane well. Iridium plugs have screwed me up before.

Back