still no 4 wheel low...need a 4wd guide for dummies | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

still no 4 wheel low...need a 4wd guide for dummies

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
hello..here is my problem. i have a 93 xlt. it used to be an auto, i converted it to a stick. it has a mazda tranny. i replaced the computer itself, the transmission wiring harness, and installed the clutch cancel switch. after doing all this it goes into 4wd when the button is pressed...but nothing happens when 4wl is pressed. ...no light, nothing happens.. tried everything, in 2wd, in 4wd, moving the automatic shifter (that is remaining in there and serves no purpose) to park, to neutral, tried doing everything...nothing will get this thing into 4wl any suggestions as to what wires i may look for that may be damaged? or any sensors to replace?

hatched91 said:
hello..here is my problem. i have a 93 xlt. it used to be an auto, i converted it to a stick. it has a mazda tranny. i replaced the computer itself, the transmission wiring harness, and installed the clutch cancel switch. after doing all this it goes into 4wd when the button is pressed...but nothing happens when 4wl is pressed. ...no light, nothing happens.. tried everything, in 2wd, in 4wd, moving the automatic shifter (that is remaining in there and serves no purpose) to park, to neutral, tried doing everything...nothing will get this thing into 4wl any suggestions as to what wires i may look for that may be damaged? or any sensors to replace?
In order to engage 4L the Tcase must 1st be in 4H... Once in 4H you need to have the tranny in Neutral or park, the clutch must be depressed, and the speedo reading under 3mph (preferable your stopped) before you can press the 4L button.

similar issue

Since it doesn't look like this is a solved problem, I'll just add mine on, as its the same thing. My 92 auto Exploder had zero 4wd function when I got it. I did a complete drivetrain swap, from different vehicles, except I kept the 1354E for the time being, intending to later put in a manual. My new trans (M5OD HD, kept stock auto harness and computer) has no mounting boss for the manual Tcase linkage, so I figured to just make the electric work, since I'm lazy, and don't use it that much anyway. I pulled the shift motor, replaced the missing bumper, and voila, it shifts and indicates 4hi, all there is well. No 4 Lo tho. Figuring this was something to do with my swap (never got past my temporary hard-wiring of the auto's NS switch wires) I searched here, and all I could come up with was: neutral (taken care of ;) and brakes activated. I ran out to give it a try while pressing the brake pedal, and still nothing. I did the SCM test, and it checks out OK. Case shifts fine manually with the motor removed, and motor does nothing (for 4 LO) when removed but still wired.

My question is, what inputs does the module require, and is there a pin-out diagram or schematic anywhere that I can look at to figure out how to either integrate or bypass these?

Back