Still roars after fan clutch replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still roars after fan clutch replacement?

Frozen Tundra

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer Eddie bauer
Sounds just like propeller noise. I know it isn't tire noise as it still made sound on fresh snow.

Replaced clutch. It is all through gears all rpms. Gets a lil louder at higher speed but pretty consistent. No his, or whine just full on roar.

Front diff or rear end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try changing your thermostat? That's what I did and that fixed my "roar" noise. It's cheap and pretty easy to replace on the 4.6L.

Could be coolant temp sensor and/or Ambient sensor are bad too. Cheap repair while stat is being replaced.

Clutch is a viscous driven component. It responds to high temperature in its flow path causing it to lockup more and more moving more air to bring the Rad temp down its drawing through.

Replacing it and not fixing the cause does nothing but drain your wallet. Its getting too hot and figuring out what it is whats needed. That could be a multitude of things of which most can be see if you are looking carefully at the operation of the engine etc.

These fan clutches are electronically regulated engagement, an improper coolant temperature reading can cause it to engage unnecessarily causing unnecessary fan noise

The its an E-Fan system. You mentioned a clutch. I'd have to look in more detail myself to see what is in there. But finding the cause is still key. Engine overheating somewhat for example will also do it as well as poor air flow from restriction in the fins up front.....

Back