• Register Today It's free!

Stock 1999 Ford Explorer

Qball7605

Reaction score
City, State
Wheeler, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hello, I have a stock 99 Ford Explorer I recently purchased and the Gem fuse was blown. I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse to have the interior lights come on stay on about 30 seconds or so, and then the fuse blew again.. also accompanied by a burnt smell... when i brought it home 2 days ago, it has no Speedo, tack, temp gauge, windows don't work, interior lights, locks, the information center in the front center of the headliner none of this stuff works.. wondering if this indeed means my Gem is fried/toast?

Hello, I have a stock 99 Ford Explorer I recently purchased and the Gem fuse was blown. I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse to have the interior lights come on stay on about 30 seconds or so, and then the fuse blew again.. also accompanied by a burnt smell... when i brought it home 2 days ago, it has no Speedo, tack, temp gauge, windows don't work, interior lights, locks, the information center in the front center of the headliner none of this stuff works.. wondering if this indeed means my Gem is fried/toast?

The GEM controls a lot of stuff. Since it's fuse blows it's probably bad.

The overhead display being out may be related to the GEM, but they also tend to often go out due to the two resistors on the circuit board cracking their solder joints. Easy fix to re-solder the resistors. I've repaired several of mine. There's a thread on how to do this in the "Useful Threads" section.

Back