Stock 2002, the drive selections and what about the "brown wire"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock 2002, the drive selections and what about the "brown wire"?

pcrussell50

Reaction score
City, State
socal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 expolrer xlt
So a mate of mine has a 2002 Explorer with the OHC 4.0. He says the "4wd is not working". I have a 1997 4.0 Explorer (with the common Control Trac Automatic 4WD) that you guys have helped me out with quite a bit. So trying to pay it forward I asked him if he pulled his radio stack if he could find "the brown wire" and see if it is getting 12V when he selects 4WD (hi or low). He is pretty handy and had his radio out in a jiffy. But he claims to have found no brown wire. Is it possible that in the 3rd gen, the did away with the brown wire and went to some other scheme. I would be surprised, but not the first time I'd be wrong...

Also, his knob says 2WD, 4WD high, 4WD low, whereas my 2nd gen says, AUTO, 4WD high, and 4WD low... Question when a 3rd gen is in "2WD", is it really only in 2WD only, or will it send torque to the front if the rear axle starts slipping?

-Peter

In 2wd it will be in 2wd, period. The third Gen probably has a different control scheme without the variable duty cycling clutch. Best bet is to probably check the pin out on the transfer case harness.

Back