Stock 4.10's getting 35's should I get 4.88's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock 4.10's getting 35's should I get 4.88's

tricked04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB SOHC
I have a 4.10's (axle # 42) on my 99 SOHC EB. I am getting 35's and if you use a gearing calculator, to keep my stock ratio it says to install 4.88. But most people seem to use 4.56. Is that because most people have a 3.73 stock ratio? To me this means if I get 4.88's (minus the extra weight of wheels) I should get the same MPG as I did with my stock setup (29" tires w\4.10)

Any input is much desired!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO its because the 4.88 ratio is available for the 8.8 rear axle but not for the dana 35 front axle.
same with 4.33

4x4 choices are 4.10, 4.56, 5.13

Unless somebody is making them now
I know the dana 35 TTB is reverse rotation and I think the Gen II IFS (like yours) is dana 35 regular

I think I'd go with the 5.13's for 35's. I have 4.56's with 33's and I wouldn't want to go any larger in tire for the 4.56's

Back from the dead. Finally got my lockers, wheels, tires, and lift, (ready to install) but still not sure about Gears. I need a no BS answer. Can I get 5.13's or 4.88's for my front Dana 35? If so where seems to be the best deal, Motive gear is probably what I'll use but haven't found an awesome price yet. Anyone running 4.88's or 5.13's on front IFS Dana 35 that is reading this? I know there are members on the board with this setup.

NO its because the 4.88 ratio is available for the 8.8 rear axle but not for the dana 35 front axle.
same with 4.33

4x4 choices are 4.10, 4.56, 5.13

Unless somebody is making them now
I know the dana 35 TTB is reverse rotation and I think the Gen II IFS (like yours) is dana 35 regular

like he said..they dont make the 4.88's for the dana 35..go with the 5.13's if you are running 35's..

Stay far away from Motiv gears, they are italian made and known for being WEAK

Yukon, Ford, Dana/spicer, or precision gears get my vote.

4.56 if the truck is mostly highway, 5.13 would be a great choice for 35's for everything else.

I do not believe the 4.88 ratio is available for your dana 35 IFS front end, but I am not sure...you might check..

4.88 would be ideal

your MPG will never be like stock again, 35" tires are heavy and it takes more power to push them, but 4.56, 4.88 or 5.13 gears will get you back to a more stock like ratio

like he said..they dont make the 4.88's for the dana 35..go with the 5.13's if you are running 35's..

like he said......:wtf: he said my Xploder has a regular D 35 in it..... which would support 4.88's...........

Actually after reading some more I am going with 5.13's this isn't my daily driver so not worried about gas mileage, and I think this will still get me at least 12 mpg on the Highway on the way to wheelin.

Now someone point me to 5.13's front and back with master install kits for just under $500. Thats my goal.....still haven't found it.

call your local 4x4 shops and give them a shot at getting you a good price, sometimes supporting the lcoal guys can bring you a great deal too.
Sometimes the online price is amazing and they cant beat it, but I like to give them a chance to

well if you can find them let me know..i havent found and 4.88's anywhere for a dana 35 ifs..

3.73 seem perfect with my 33's.
that seems like a huge jump...

3.73 seem perfect with my 33's.
that seems like a huge jump...

3.73's and 33's perfect? I have 3.55's and 33's and hate it! I never use 5th gear unless I'm going down a steep hill really fast, I alwayse have to keep high rpms, starting from a stop going up a steep hill is almost impossible (lots of clutch burning), I can't wait to get my 4.56's installed (should be 2-3 weeks, just waiting for the locker to arrive).

they seem great for me.. i never get the downshifting that i always read about.. and speed is amazing...
never high rpm.. my 2002 is higher than that..

do gears once, trust me. 5.13's would be PERFECT for 35's/ I run 4.10's right now with my 35's and i barely ever put it in 5th, not enough power to turn them.

When you go up in tire size you can forget about gas mileage. The pure weight differnce between a 31 or a 33 and a 35 is HUGE. Rolling mass eats power , affecting gas mileage, not to mention the added height and wind resistance as well. You'll get 15MPG if your lucky, but count on 12-13 tops..

do gears once, trust me. 5.13's would be PERFECT for 35's/ I run 4.10's right now with my 35's and i barely ever put it in 5th, not enough power to turn them.

When you go up in tire size you can forget about gas mileage. The pure weight differnce between a 31 or a 33 and a 35 is HUGE. Rolling mass eats power , affecting gas mileage, not to mention the added height and wind resistance as well. You'll get 15MPG if your lucky, but count on 12-13 tops..

with 33'a i am lucky if i break 11mpg

I had 3.73's in my 89' Ranger 2.9L with 33's on it and they didn't perform bad at all. 4.10's would have been better but I did fine on the highway and used 5th gear the all the time. I could even smoke the tires going around corners in 1st, lol. I think the Mazda tranny the in the 2.9's was a lower ratio than the typical 5 speed Sploder tranny.

They do make 4.88 gears for the front Dana35 in 95+ Explorers. The 95 up axle takes standard rotation gears instead of reverse rotation like the TTB 35. I think with a SOHC you would have plenty of power with 4.88s since it has some extra grunt over the ole 4.0 OHV.

Check out EBay for a vender named "discountgearing" I was quoted a complete front and rear package (both gears and install kits as well as the notched crossshaft for the rear and a dial indicator and stand for $506 and that was with Yukon gears. This price was good for 4.56 and 4.88 and I would assume probably 5.13 too.

they seem great for me.. i never get the downshifting that i always read about.. and speed is amazing...
never high rpm.. my 2002 is higher than that..

What kind of fourwheeling do you do? Out here 3.73s + rock crawling = burned up automatic, or burned clutch in a 5 speed...

I vote for 5.13s if you do any "real" wheelin' 4:56 if you're just looking for a highway ride.

with 33'a i am lucky if i break 11mpg

When I still had 33s and 4:56s I would get a consistant 18MPG highway. With your 3.73s you have to feed in too much throttle to maintain highway speeds... 4:56s and 33s is nearly = to the rpms you'll get from stock gears and tires.

I went to 4.88's when I had 33's & loved them! It's OK now that i have 35's but I think I'd be happier with 5.13's. I'm just a bit nervous about how small the pinion is that low, but a lot of people run them without problems...

I got Yukon's but there are a bunch out there for your 99 Check on Ebay or maybe a vendor here has them...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They do make 4.88 gears for the front Dana35 in 95+ Explorers. The 95 up axle takes standard rotation gears instead of reverse rotation like the TTB 35. I think with a SOHC you would have plenty of power with 4.88s since it has some extra grunt over the ole 4.0 OHV.

Check out EBay for a vender named "discountgearing" I was quoted a complete front and rear package (both gears and install kits as well as the notched crossshaft for the rear and a dial indicator and stand for $506 and that was with Yukon gears. This price was good for 4.56 and 4.88 and I would assume probably 5.13 too.

Thanks for the post!! Everything I wanted to here

Back