Stock 91 XLT VS Stock 94 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock 91 XLT VS Stock 94 Eddie Bauer

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, so MY explorer is a 91 XLT. I just purchased a 94 Eddie Bauer with 78K ORIGINAL miles with a blown head gasket. I was debating on swapping that motor and putting the 94 into my 91, after a rebuild job. BUT, this one I bought is 3 years newer, with lower miles and is an EB edition. What would be benefit vs. cost etc of either putting the 94 motor into my 91, OR fixing the 94 motor and replacing the AUTO tranny with a 5 SPEED? Overall, the 94 looks to be in better shape exterior-wise than my 91. I'm now at a cross-roads as to what I should do lol! I was going to pull the 94's motor, rebuild it, then stick it into my 91. NOW I can't make up my mind LOL! Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd rebuild the 94's motor and put it on the road! Is there anything wrong with it other than the blown head gasket? You can drive your 91 until you are done rebuilding the 94 engine, and then you could either sell or start "modifying" your 91 for a trail rig or something, and have the better condition 94 as a DD.

The guy I am purchasing the ED from said the only thing that's wrong with it is the head gasket is blown. The auto tranny ran good, he said the truck was running fine before the head gasket. I've put a LOT of money into my 91, and that's why I am having such a tough decision with this.
Also, the guy I purchasing the EB from was originally gonna part it out, cuz he said his ex-wife either lost the title or won't give it to him. That's partly why he's asking the $500. I just don't know what to do. I WILL NOT drive an auto explorer. Just won't lol. So its: fix the 94 EB and swap trannies, fix the 94 4.0L, swap that into my 91 and part the EB out for the rest, OR.....I dunno. I have put A LOT of money, I mean alot into my 91. I've replaced a lot of parts, especially suspension parts that have gone bad, put in a new stereo system, new headlights.....list goes on. I'm frustrated now lol.
If I were to try to fix the 94, I'd have to somehow figure a way to get a replacement title...

Reason why I'm wanting to replace my engine........blown-out 3rd (rear) spark plug in passenger side head. Too much $$ to do helicoil job, and fact of the matter that my 91 has 201,500 miles on that engine.

Ok, two options.....
Option 1. Take everything you want/need off of the 94 and then part it out.
Option 2. File for a lost title on the 94, then transplant your upgraded parts to the 94 and part out the 91. Either way, rebuild the engine from the 94 and use it in whichever EX you decide to keep!

Also, don't worry about the mileage, I currently have over 270,000 miles on my 94'.

My 91 has 202000 lol, I didn't think it would get that far! Only reason why I dont want to spend money on mine--the miles. No point in putting a couple hundred that we really don't have into a motor with that many miles to fix the passenger head. But hubby says why spend money on a different motor that I don't know anything about, when I could put money into mine? One reason....the miles is what's keeping me from redoing my passenger side head.
Hubby says, the other motor also has to be torn down, that I do not really know if the miles is what it is. He said we should check it over more before buying the rig. He's a bit worried that we will spend $500 on a rig that won't put any money back into our pockets. He wants to know why the guy didn't redo the head gasket himself, when that's really not all that hard to do, IF in fact those 78K miles ARE the original miles.

AND, another couple facts, the guy doesn't have the key. He also doesn't have the title. SOOO, I have no idea how we'd get the thing started to check it out AND don't know how I'm gonna get it titled.

If it's registered in their names they should be able to get a new copy of the title from the DMV. I would tell them they need to get a new title for it.

Good idea. I will do that.

My husband just thinks its fishy that he has no title, no key for the Eddie Bauer. He doesn't want to end up with a stolen vehicle! Neither do I. We are going today to check it out, if things don't seem right, then I'm not gonna buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of used 4.0L motors I could find. If this guy can't answer our questions about the title etc, then its a no-go.

Sounds like the title issue will be more trouble than its worth, Swap the motors, re build your 91s motor, and sell it to cover the cost of buying the other truck. :p

Yea...from the sounds of it I wouldn't bother with the EB. the Heli coil isn't that much I did it to a sunfire I had (easier to do in it) I retapped the head and fired the car up for a second so the shavings would blow out of the cylinder and then put the coil in and the spark plug and it ran good. My method isn't recommended but it worked and cost bout 8 bucks maybe.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less and less I wanna bother with the EB. If we go over there today, and aren't satisfied with his answers, then I will not bother, and then just have that head fixed. From what I've been reading, these motors can go a long time before really needing to be messed with. The guy that we took my X to said he would pull my motor, do the helicoil for $400, put the motor back in all for $4-500. He said that was the easiest way to do the helicoil on these motors, since the passenger side is soo cramped. I'm seriously thinking of just having him do that.

I got my $200 deposit back from the guy. I told him we were just going to fix my engine.

Best scenario- something was fishy about that one...

Yeah it was...and I didn't want to fall prey to a possibly stolen vehicle lol.

Back