stock cd changer

roadus carnivor

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
hey guys,

i have a '97 xlt, and my stock cd changer went defunk. it swallowed the magazine and wouldn't spew it out, and the stereo thinks there's no cd in. i kept pressing the eject button and it just makes a moaning sound and wouldn't eject the magazine. has anyone else had this problem? am i stuck w/ replacing the changer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to mine once. I watched the Ford tech guy and he took the changer apart and pulled te magazine out. Now since I knew the tech real well, he gave me a new changer, but I do not know if it really needed "replacing" or not. That new changer is still sitting in my closet. I am going to all Alpine as soon as I can find me a good custom installer. I still have the extended warranty coverage on my 98, saved me many times already. I ALWAYS buy the ESP for my Fords.
HotDogs

If you need to get rid of the changer in your closet, let me know.......I'm interested!

Joe

oh i'd be interested, too! i might have to replace mine... let me know, too? :D

lets just say....i totally despise mine....i'm ready to throw it out the window....i also have the stock 6 disk cd changer in the x....it will read the cds when it wants and not read them 99.9% of the time....i've cleaned it and everything else....my opinion get something else...of course it could just be mine....but my uncle had the same problem with his, his ate his cd cady and then started chucking gears at him...lol....:D

mine actually worked really well until just recently when the caddy stuck. i thought it sounded great. if i get a different afermarket changer i'd want one that fits into the center console, and the only ones i found in crutchfield are alpine and kenwoods. any recommendations? i'd prefer to just get the same one, for $ reasons. where can i find these oem changers?

Will it work in a 97? Not sure of what will work with different years. Also, does it have the mounting bracket and magazine?

Joe

Back