stock frame ears... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock frame ears...

slravene

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC (Home) / Raleigh, NC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Im having a bumper built for the front end of my ex and i was wondering if the stock frame ears were strong enough to support the bumper if i were to say...use it as a jack point/tow point/mount a winch to the bumper? With winches getting so cheap i really want one, but i dont wanna cut off my frame and i would like to mount it on my bumper. Does anyone know if the ears would put up with that or would they crumple like tin cans...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't trust them with a winch bumper. You're going to want a bumper that attaches to multiple points on the frame. You can either cut them off and have a bumper built that "sleeves" the frame or have whover is designing it build it so it can attach at more than one point. Imho the first option is the best and strongest option.

my old ranger I had 3 grade 8 bolts on each frame rail to hold my bumper on. I did some pretty hard pulls with it with a warn 8274 doing the pull and it held up fine. I wouldnt bolt it to the stock brackets though. Hopefully whoever you have building a bumper can build one strong enough for a winch assuming you tell him you are planning on mounting a winch to it.

i was thinking of having some L brackets made up (4 in all) to go along the inside and outside of the frame backed up against the back of the frame ears...and have those bolted through the sides of the frame rails and each other (so 4 bolts on each frame rail) and then have my bumper go in like a stock bumper and just through the L bracket as well essentially sandwiching the ears in place....would this work?

I am not complely understanding what you are saying, but what if I think you are saying is what you are saying, then it sounds pretty strong. Make sure if you bolt through the frame like you described you sleve the frame so the frame rails dont colapse and cause the bolts to get loose. Lookat other peoples winch bumpers and see how the mounted it to get an idea of how to do it.

The 95-01 frame snout "ears" can be bought as a separate piece, and they are welded on. The actual frame itself is strong enough to take any push or pull forces. The frame snout is welded at a 90 degree angle from the frame. I Wouldn't rely on those weld points to take the force, they would tear.

Attach brackets to the sides of the frame, isn't that what you mentioned. The bumper attaches to those frame snout "ears". The area along the sides of the frame at the front is clear of parts, and bolting to it should be realatively easy. Good luck,

Back