Stock Heated Mirrors - Need a Picture | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Heated Mirrors - Need a Picture

Huntsman06

Reaction score
City, State
UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer XLT
Hello,

Winter has come and gone and the snowy weather has convinced me that I want to get heated mirrors on my 2004 XLT. I've done some reading, and I am told that the 3rd gens XLTs were prewired for heated mirrors IF they have standard power mirrors w/ puddle lights. Good news, I have power mirrors so replacements should be plug and play.

Looking into buying mirrors there are a few different kinds that claim to be OEM. On the glass, there is a small defrost symbol but some of the mirrors have it towards the top of the glass, others towards the bottom, some in the right corner, some in the left. If anyone who has heated mirrors could share with me a picture of what the "real" OEM glass looks like, I'd appreciate it. Price for the mirrors are roughly the same, but I would prefer to have the real ones for the sake of keeping it stock.

EDIT: Here are some pictures showing the differences I'm finding. They both claim to be OEM so, if that is true, I am betting one is for a mountaineer and the other is the explorer one. Can't tell easily in the pictures, but there are some other pictures I found along with these two showing the connector on the left side (which has all 7 pins like it is supposed to)

s_l1600_1.jpg

s_l1600.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have powered mirror but no puddle lights...

I'd open it up and verify...

I indeed do have puddle lights. The passenger one (upon inspecting today) appears to be broken D: but both lights are very much there.

You can use heated mirrors from the 4th gen. They are exact bolt on and same wiring.

I purchased some used one's for our '04. And I assure you, they are plug and play. :) On mine the symbol is in the upper corner of the glass, like your first image. I originally bought some aftermarket ones from RockAuto, but they vibrated so bad I sent them back.

I purchased some used one's for our '04. And I assure you, they are plug and play. :) On mine the symbol is in the upper corner of the glass, like your first image. I originally bought some aftermarket ones from RockAuto, but they vibrated so bad I sent them back.

Many thanks! This marks the 3rd "upgrade" I've made to the 04. Now to find the next obscure accessory that was intended for my model that I [probably] can't justify buying :cool:

Back