• Register Today It's free!

Stock keyless entry install?

FloridaState

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4x4
Hey guys, question here. I have a '97 XLT without a keyless entry of any kind (no keypad, key-fob, etc.). I was wondering if it'd be easy to install a stock keyless entry system if I could find a wrecked Explorer somewhere. I don't want the keypad, just a fob. It's annoying, especially during bad weather, to have to put the key in and everything. I'd rather just push the button and be done with it lol.

So would this be something difficult, or should I just go aftermarket? I'm just afraid I'll get some cheapie aftermarket thing that won't work right, which is why I'm considered a stock one. But if I had to get aftermarket, would there be any way to program a stock Ford key-fob to it? Because usually the aftermarket fobs are fugly.

Sorry for all the questions lol. Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you put the key in the door and unlock and do it again do the rest of the locks pop up? Trying to determin if you have a power lock ability. If you do go get an automatic car starter installed they come with nice fobs..

If you put the key in the door and unlock and do it again do the rest of the locks pop up? Trying to determin if you have a power lock ability. If you do go get an automatic car starter installed they come with nice fobs..

Yeah, I do have that feature. I use it regularly when I have passengers waiting for the door to unlock lol.
Does this help me?

That tells me you have lock Actuators. A pro would be able to give lo down. I did have it done to my Ranger that I bought and only had keys. Automatic starters are cheap now, maybe $150.00 for the install. Hope it works out for you.

That tells me you have lock Actuators. A pro would be able to give lo down. I did have it done to my Ranger that I bought and only had keys. Automatic starters are cheap now, maybe $150.00 for the install. Hope it works out for you.

Are you talking about a remote start? I'm just looking for a keyless entry, I don't really want all that other stuff. It's just more stuff to break. lol

Back