• Register Today It's free!

Stock LSD?

Merc1973

Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
How common are these some come with factory (Limited slip diff) LSD?

Are these axle codes right?

L - Limited Slip Differential C - Conventional Differential
41 ...... 3.27C
42 ...... 4.10C
43 ...... 3.08C
45 ...... 3.55C
46 ...... 3.73C
D1 ...... 3.27L
D2 ...... 4.10L
D4 ...... 3.73L
D5 ...... 3.55L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4 Tow Package. 3.73L

Just find explorers that have the 2" hitch. Most likely to have 3.73 limited slip

2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4 Tow Package. 3.73L

Just find explorers that have the 2" hitch. Most likely to have 3.73 limited slip

Yep. '98 XLT SOHC 4x4 with the factory tow pkg. D4 3.73 lsd and 2" Hidden Hitch.

Explorers didn't have the option to come equipped with a 4.10 rear end.

Explorers didn't have the option to come equipped with a 4.10 rear end.

As high as the overdrive gear is I think it would benefit nicely to go to a 4.10, might actually make it up hills without it shifting out of overdrive.

I think if I ever rebuild my rear and front differentials at the same time I might convert.

The OD ratio could actually be a bit bigger I think. There is no reason to be turning 2,500 RPM for 75 mph...

The trans really just needs a shift kit and tune. The motor has enough guts for the job but the trans is programmed to avoid anything called torque.

The OD ratio could actually be a bit bigger I think. There is no reason to be turning 2,500 RPM for 75 mph...

The trans really just needs a shift kit and tune. The motor has enough guts for the job but the trans is programmed to avoid anything called torque.

Maybe for the V8 model.

My problem is the slightest hill sends it out of OD to maintain speed. Really annoying to use cruise control with OD on unless you are on a flat interstate.

Maybe for the V8 model.

My problem is the slightest hill sends it out of OD to maintain speed. Really annoying to use cruise control with OD on unless you are on a flat interstate.

The V8 drives the exact same way. I hate it. I have to turn cruise off every time there is a slight incline.. Also doesn't help that the cruise control in these suckers just mashes the pedal to the floor as soon as it slows down even in the slightest! This is by far the quickest reaction time I have ever seen from a cruise control and the most dead on one.

Also, this trans was designed and built to only be put behind a V6. So it is also tuned accordingly. I guess it got too expensive to put the 1500 duty trans in so they made the V6 tans work...

I'd like a way to make it stay in OD even if the pedal is to the floor, lol.

I wish ForScan could program shift points and accelerator percents that trigger downshifts.

I'd like a way to make it stay in OD even if the pedal is to the floor, lol.

I wish ForScan could program shift points and accelerator percents that trigger downshifts.

Same here!

Thanks guys. Im looking for one with 2" tow hitch so i can have D4 code.

I thought the v6 and v8 had different transmissions?

Maybe for the V8 model.

Are you certain of this? The 5R55S in my '04 never shifts down from 5th. to 4th., without first unlocking the Torque Converter Clutch. That gets it easily up most hills at cruise speed. Occasionally, but only rarely, does it downshift to 4th. after unlocking the TCC.

You can easily check this by slowly depressing gas pedal at cruise, tach jumps up, hold steady while depressing "OD OFF". The 5th. to 4th. will pop rpms higher than the TCC did. imp

Back