Stock muffler brand.

Fargo

Reaction score
City, State
Madrid, España
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
Hi,

I need to change the rusted muffler of my 94' Explorer, and i am searching for the stock replacement. It seems that it's obsolete in Ford parts.

Does anybody knows the brand or where can i get the stock muffler for my Explorer?

Thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can weld in anything as long as it has the inlet & outlet in the same spots. Dynomax makes good stuff. Flowmaster, or whatever the shop has. Your not goign to find "stock" stuff.

Hi Jason.

The problem here, in Spain, is that we have to pass an inspection to our vehicles to ensure their safety. This, at the end means that they inspect modifications that would change the performance of the vehicles, and to ensure that, they check that we mount original parts, or at least this part is approved. Sometimes it's enough that the manufacturer certifies that this part can replace the stock part ifor that type of vehicle.

So, i need to found the original muffler or another certified by the manufacturer, because the muffler replacement is considered a significant change and is inspected to ensure that there are no leaks, changes in performance or sound compared with the stock muffler. They can remove the vehicle documentation if the supervisor thinks that the part don´t fits your vehicle.

Thanks, and sorry for my terrible english :confused:

Would they publish a list of approved manufacturers? I know that happens with catalytic converters over here stateside...

Did you go to a automotive shop? They should be able to find the correct approved part I would think.

Thanks to all.

There is no list with approved parts. Simply they checks for OEM parts or with CE logo. If it is no an OEM part, you have to show the manufacturer certificate and the sheet of installation in the workshop.

Yes, there are an automotive shop searching for the original muffler. I was told that they had found it but i have reasons to suspect that the part isn't the oem replacement. This is the reason why i am searching for it. I want to found the muffler to have it in this case.

If at least the new muffler fits within the heat shields of the old muffler, perhaps it can go unnoticed in the inspection.:p:

Initially i was thinking on Flowmaster mufflers, but the Walker could be another interesting option. It might be less conspicuous.

Wow Spain sounds worse than California. Most exhaust shops around here have a source for a direct fit replacement. Maybe one does there 2.

Wow Spain sounds worse than California. Most exhaust shops around here have a source for a direct fit replacement. Maybe one does there 2.

Nah, I've spent some time in Spain. It is certainly better than California, regardless of automotive laws. Haha

If you haven't purchased it yet,
http://www.rockauto.com/
Has the walker exhaust for 40 dollars.

I use them for everything non-aftermarket :p

No, i haven't purchased it yet. I am waiting for the automotive shop until August. I was told that they would get the original muffler the first days. But is the second time that i am waiting for this part. Apparently, the first time they ordered from one of its providers and the provider don´t warned them that they had no this part. So we were waiting for his arrival....

Make matters worse, Ford Europe broke relations with Ford in America some years ago, i don´t understand nothing.... So the Ford workshops here don´t order parts to America. In fact, they has instructed not accept American cars in his workshops. So i am one of the last owners of Explorer here :(

My last option is to try in a workshop in which they make their own mufflers and homologate them. If I have luck, perhaps they dare with my Explorer.

I have finally installed the Walker muffler. They mount it as original part :scratch:. And they charged me 1200€ aproximately. They changed the muffler and his pipes, but if i had known it, i had done it by myself and it would have been far cheaper.

At least i have passed the inspection for this time without problems :rolleyes:. We'll see next time ... :dunno:

Wow that took a long time to get that muffler almost a year! Was it worth the wait.. I think you could of used any muffler as long as the outlet pipe didn't increase I'm pretty sure it would not have increased any flow. Nobody would no the difference but you.

Really i had my new muffler in September, but i was waiting to pass the inspection to know the result. Anyway, they tightened the rules of the inspections, and the new muffler should be approved by the Traffic General Direction in addition to be instaled as the original was (if the original was welded, the new muffler should be also welded or if the original was installed with clamps, the new muffler should also have them).

Without also forget what you say, the pipes must had the same diameter, and geometry as the original. The same as the inlet and outlet of the muffler (centered, left or right).

:confused:

But the new muffler only had the same diameter of the pipes, and the same arrangement of the inlet and the outlet. It isn't homologated, had clamps instead of welds, and the geometry isn't the same as the original. So the inspector in the revisions in future years can force me to change the muffler with a new one that is approved. :(

I'm in his hands for the rest. :banghead:

Back