• Register Today It's free!

stock pipe size?

kbauer110

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT (bone stock)
I have no idea what what size the OE exhaust pipe size is. And would putting a down-turn tip on at the muffler make it sound any different. I have a Cherrybomb turbo btw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea what what size the OE exhaust pipe size is. And would putting a down-turn tip on at the muffler make it sound any different. I have a Cherrybomb turbo btw.

I have the full cat still, 2.5" pipe from it to a flowmaster dumped. It's okay, it has a rumble to it, but not too deep, and not too annoying either.

My plan is to go with a magnaflow muffler, and "fix" the main cat. We don't have emission/ safety inspections here.

Stock size pipe was 2.25" I think then after the muffler it was 2"

You would see a noticeable difference in upgrading pipe size. There is no significant "GAIN" in horsepower.

My throttle response picked up a little bit, and I gained a MPG or so.

Ok. awesome. i was thinking about getting one of my cats "fixed" and leaving one just to pass inspection. but wont dumping the exhaust right at the muffler make it resonate under the car and make it a shade louder and more noticeable? and im moving to Nashville to go to school there so i might have to just fix both cats!

having your exhaust dump right under the passenger compartment of your vehicle is a wonderful way to pass emission testing. /sarcasm

"fixing" your cats won't do anything for you either. Unfortunately, you are going to have to find that extra 40 horsepower locked up somewhere else. Cars have run as good or better with cats than without since the late 80s.

If anime responded to this, he would probably point you to the dynamax cat back. For the price you can have it for with the rebates right now, you would be an idiot to spend money on other exhaust modifications (which would cost WAY MORE). Go on summit racing and find the stuff, or search for the last thread he mentioned it in, since he linked to it. It will give you all the sound you are looking for and a free flowing exhaust. Plus, it is made of quality materials, so it will last a few years.

Ok. awesome. i was thinking about getting one of my cats "fixed" and leaving one just to pass inspection. but wont dumping the exhaust right at the muffler make it resonate under the car and make it a shade louder and more noticeable? and im moving to Nashville to go to school there so i might have to just fix both cats!

Mine is dumped at the axle. Yes a shade louder/ noticeable.

Not recommended if you're coming to Nashville if you plan on tagging your truck in Tennessee. Metro Nashville has emissions testing. All counties that touch Davidson County get hit up with it from what I understand. And also I hear they're REALLY strict with that stuff.

I'm 45 miles NW of Nashville, and 2 counties away.... no emissions testing :)

having your exhaust dump right under the passenger compartment of your vehicle is a wonderful way to pass emission testing. /sarcasm

"fixing" your cats won't do anything for you either. Unfortunately, you are going to have to find that extra 40 horsepower locked up somewhere else.

hahahaha if "fixing" your cats freed up that much hp we'd all be ricers.... Just add 500 stupid looking stickers and you're pushing insane power.....

Sorry I had a moment....

Hahahahaha! Its quite alright to have a moment mr cribb. my friends and i make jokes at school all the time about having massive monster stickers on your car. did you know they give you 80 more horsepower! thats crazy! then you need to put a ridiculously oversized wing on the back so when your hittin like 170 you dont go everywhere due to the speed! hahahaha i flippin hate ricers. but no i dont plan on tagging my car in TN. i plan on having permanent residency in Joplin so i dont have to deal with all that crap so i can adhere to Joplin law which is at least one cat and thats it! no other regulations as far as i know! and i should know! im a certified inspector mechanic in the state of Missouri!

OE on a '93-94 was 2 inches diameter. They went down from the 2.25" diameter of the '91-92 for some reason. Consequently, you gain a lot by going back to 2.25", which seems to let the 4.0 breathe a whole lot better than the 2".

The Dynomax kit for '93-94's uses a weird configuration of a 2" pipe from the cat to the muffler, and then a 2.25" pipe after the muffler.

If you want to go to the trouble of having an all-2.25"-exhaust, you can order the '91-92 Dynomax Super Turbo kit, and either get an exhaust hanger and rubber pieces from a 91-92 and use it in place of the 93-94 stocker, or just rig something up.

Don't mess with the catalytic converters. That's for idiots. It has the opposite effect on performance, especially on such an electrically controlled powertrain.

and everything else FIND said.

OE on a '93-94 was 2 inches diameter, is that everything coming out of the engine or does the exhaust manifold not really matter?

i'm only asking because my stock muffler exploded internally and the replacement completely exploded... and apparently somebody cut the cat, i don't know when that happened, but i'm considering putting a muffler back on...

2 inches refers to the piping after the catalytic converter.

The Y-pipe is about 2 inches on either side as well, but then goes into an oval section where it meets the converter, and the converter tubing is around 3 inches.

You should probably get a new/used converter to replace the cut one, and then either a Dynomax or stock replacement exhaust.

yeah, I've been meaning to but then I forget about it... would a universal cat for a 92 be 2 1/4 outlet? Kinda a stupid question if it's universal it shouldn't be a year specific but for store purposes they ask what year vehicle, so that's why I asked...

Joplin is pretty beat up. We lost a hospital our high school and 8000 other buildings. Other than that there has been a enormous outpouring of volunteer work and we are attempting to get stuff back to normal. It will take forever to get all of this cleaned up. Its an absolutely horrible sight.

Back