• Register Today It's free!

Stock radio 12V power and ground

mlycke

Reaction score
City, State
northport, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Does anyone know how I can locate the 12V power and ground wires on a 2000 explorer stock radio?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pull out the radio and follow the ground and power from the "plug in" behind the radio.. i believe the power is red and runs to the fuse box on the left side of the dash and i believe the ground is black and might have a solid white line in it and it goes to a screw that holds the dash in place if im not mistaken, it can be seen with the radio out.
that is from what i remember when i had to replace my radio long time ago.
what do you need to know for?

ground is solid black
12v ignition is solid red
12v memory is solid yellow
(always gets power to run your clock, remember radio station favorites and stuff)

ground is solid black
12v ignition is solid red
12v memory is solid yellow
(always gets power to run your clock, remember radio station favorites and stuff)

from my experience these colors seem to be an industry standard for radio wiring along with BLUE for the power antenna (if so equipped).

from my experience these colors seem to be an industry standard for radio wiring along with BLUE for the power antenna (if so equipped).

yeah its nice when things are the same or pretty dang close across the board..

instead of in a house where black is positive and when working on your car it is negative..

to the OP
you can also use a test light or multimeter and see with the car off which wire gets power.. should just be one wire and that would be your 12v constant.. then from there keep the positive probe on that and move the ground probe from a known ground screw or something to the black wire and make sure it is a ground..

when working on house wiring i can never remember which is hot. i think, white HOT and black DEATH... doesn't help (maybe if i just remember that it's the opposite of a car i'll keep it straight). it's a good thing i do almost no house wiring... lol.

Back