Stock Radio Upgrade

Optimus Joe

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Augustine
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my stock, non JBL, factory cassette radio. It is getting finicky and does not pick up half the stations I know are out there. As this is not a daily driver, I do not want to break the bank, but would love a decent radio with bluetooth and maybe the ability to insert a micro SD card or USB.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What’s your total budget? Are your speakers factory?

At Crutchfield I bought a JVC digital head unit (no disc, but has USB, AUX, Bluetooth, hands-free, Pandora, & AM/FM). Had it for a long time and it has been rock solid.

Pass on the touch screen units, they are more dangerous than a smart phone.

I would only consider touch screens at this point. Mines never presented itself a danger.

Ditto, look at aftermarket decks and speakers. To just replace the radio and four speakers, using a purchased radio adapter harness, you could do that for $200 or so. It would depend on your brand preference to the radio and speakers. You can get some speakers in the $30 range, while others can run $50-$100. The radio costs are good, tons are out there for $100 or less, brand choice moves that all over the map. The radio adapter harness is typically $15 or so, you just have to splice/solder the ends together from both harnesses, that one and the new radio harness.

I would like to stay under $100 and I am not looking to swap speakers yet, just the unit.

Ditto, look at aftermarket decks and speakers. To just replace the radio and four speakers, using a purchased radio adapter harness, you could do that for $200 or so. It would depend on your brand preference to the radio and speakers. You can get some speakers in the $30 range, while others can run $50-$100. The radio costs are good, tons are out there for $100 or less, brand choice moves that all over the map. The radio adapter harness is typically $15 or so, you just have to splice/solder the ends together from both harnesses, that one and the new radio harness.
I have installed several radios before and am not worried about that part. To be honest, I have not had to replace a radio in about 15 years and just do not know what is a good brand anymore and what everyone is using. Our Taurus has the touch screen with integrated steering wheel controls, bluetooth, and USB. I like those features and would not mind having them again, but I want to buy a decent brand without breaking the bank.
I figure I will go back and get new speakers later down the line.

I would like to stay under $100 and I am not looking to swap speakers yet, just the unit.

Search on Amazon and Crutchfield, eBay later for price comparisons. You just need to find the decks that will fit in the dash, the adapter harness for your model, and the features you want. There will be tons of choices, Crutchfield will be way high, and other places will be reasonable. Price shop and you will get better decks for the same less money, or what you want for less money.

I have installed several radios before and am not worried about that part. To be honest, I have not had to replace a radio in about 15 years and just do not know what is a good brand anymore and what everyone is using. Our Taurus has the touch screen with integrated steering wheel controls, bluetooth, and USB. I like those features and would not mind having them again, but I want to buy a decent brand without breaking the bank.
I figure I will go back and get new speakers later down the line.

Then you can handle it. Finding the fitment information is the toughest part, but Amazon has done a fairly good job with theirs. eBay has always been poor at fitment details, go there only for price shopping. I agree seeing so many unknown brands is bad, who are these odd companies?

I will want a DD deck for my 99 Explorer next year when I get caught up, and I have three in my wish list on Amazon. I set pricing around $150, and there were tons that had the main features you and everyone wants. If you expanded the choices to the DD decks, they will fit but the radio bezel opening has to be widened a little. I haven't done that, but that's common to find examples here for 95-01's.

The JVC I have is Single DIN, and I used the adapter which gave a cubby hole making up the extra space. Later I added a Single DIN CB/WX underneath.

For under $100 you won’t be getting a good brand. To retain the things like wheel controls will need an interface which will probably cost $50-75+.

Just check with Crutchfield for fit, and reviews, and buy elsewhere unless it is on deep sale. (It’ll probably say 1.5 DIN, a double DIN is very easy to make fit.)

I’d pick a deck that supports android auto, or CarPlay, whichever your phone is.

Hi all,

I want to upgrade my stock, non JBL, factory cassette radio. It is getting finicky and does not pick up half the stations I know are out there. As this is not a daily driver, I do not want to break the bank, but would love a decent radio with bluetooth and maybe the ability to insert a micro SD card or USB.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a 7 inch DD touch with usb and micro sd, and blue tooths phone , rear camera ready for 42.00 off ebay, from china of course, but 50 w a channel and it works great ! I had to dremel the bezel to make it fit, all is good ) the 6.2 inch DD is the right size to fit .

I bought a 7 inch DD touch with usb and micro sd, rear camera ready for 42.00 off ebay, from china of course, but 50 w a channel and it works great ! I had to dremel the bezel to make it fit, all is good )
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
a good link

I wouldn't advise a $30 touch screen off of eBay, just my two cents. There's nice enough touch screens starting at $69.99 here, Walmart has one here, forget which numbers but I put one in my 2000 and it's great, ran 2 12" subwoofers and I had no complaints, 6.2" for $100. You can get a lot now in the touch screen department, they've come a long way the last two years IMO.

BOSS audio makes some under 100 at walmart , they seem very popular

Back