Stock replacement body mount bushing kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock replacement body mount bushing kit?

Silver X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Anyone know where I can buy a complete set of stock body mount bushings? Dealerships only carry each piece individually and they're pretty expensive. The bushings range from $17-$28 each and I need all 20 of them!

I don't really care if the new bushings are rubber or polyurethane. Just need to know where to buy them and their part number, so I can order a set....hopefully cheaper than at a dealership.

I tried searching on here, but not having any luck today.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FOUND 'EM!

In case anyone wants a set, here's the part number for the kit:

www.4wheelparts.com
Daystar polyurethane cab and body mount bushings.
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport V6 4.0 Liter 245 CI GAS
Part Number: DAYKF04009BK
Body Cab Mount
Black
$150.95

Right now, they are 15% off too.

"Your factory rubber body bushings crack and become hard and brittle and often fall apart while on your vehicle.Daystar™ polyurethane cab and body mount bushings are designed to maintain the proper frame/body alignment of your vehicle. They are engineered to give you the best all around ride on and off road."

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...1&t_s=20&t_pt=5582&t_pl=974&t_pn=DAYKF04009BK

I purchased this myself.
I have yet to install it for the fact that some factory hardware needs to be re-used.
Namely, the... crap, what are they called... the sleeves that the bolts bolt into.
those need to be worked out of the existing body mounts, which I'm going to assume will be a PITA.

So... I found 4 used body mounts on eBay, and waiting on those to get here, so that I can atleast have 4 of the 6 removed before I start tearing it apart.

if any of that made any sense, haha. I'm havin brain-farts here.

Lucky me, I live 5 minutes from a 4Wheel Parts store so I can go in and ask questions before buying :)

gavin, can you order just the bolts and sleeves from Ford? That's a huge screw up by Daystar not to include those items. Shoot...those things corrode and I'm not sure they can be saved! And here I thought we had really found something.

Daystar's website is horrible. Not much information. But I did find out they are local, (well...that's a relative term...they are in the City, but about 60 miles away) I think I'll get in touch with them and see what they have because from what I see, I'm not sure the kit above is for an Explorer.

Last edited:

gavin, can you order just the bolts and sleeves from Ford? That's a huge screw up by Daystar not to include those items. Shoot...those things corrode and I'm not sure they can be saved! And here I thought we had really found something.

Daystar's website is horrible. Not much information. But I did find out they are local, (well...that's a relative term...they are in the City, but about 60 miles away) I think I'll get in touch with them and see what they have because from what I see, I'm not sure the kit above is for an Explorer.

I haven't a clue... I didn't dig into that route. But, I wouldn't think you could, since if you were going to replace the sleeve, you might as well replace the bushings.

When I put in my specific vehicle info, that's the kit that came up. When I tried other kits, my truck wasn't listed. I doubt Daystar would list ours if it wasn't correct.

Haven't bought the kit yet. I had to fix everything else on my truck, so the body mounts have been the least of my worries. Hoping to get them in the next week or so. Then I'll still have to find the time to install them.

My local dealer told me all they sell is the bushings and a couple of the bolts. Most of the bolts and stuff are discontinued. They told me to get bolts from a hardware store or industrial nut/bolt supply store.

Last edited:

the bolts aren't the big deal.
it's the metal sleeves.

the OEM bushings appear to be, more or less, pressed onto the sleeves.

to install the Daystar kit, you must remove the original bushings from the sleeves.
a total PITA!

I found 4 body mounts on eBay. Received 'em on Friday. Haven't tried too hard, yet, to remove the sleeves.

But I can tell you; the bushings for the front core support area, actually house the metal sleeve. Atleast, I think that's what 2 of these mounts are.
The sleeve is actually INSIDE the bushing, meaning it will have to be cut and tortured.

I do agree that it's a downer that the OEM sleeves must be re-used; but I can't completely blame Daystar. You can also blame it on Ford for an unusual setup. (don't most vehicles use NUTS and bolts on the body mounts, not stupid sleeves?!)

For what it's worth... I have 4 mounts; 2 sets of 2. So the part numbers I have are: F57A-10001A42-DB and F57A-10001A42-CB

I tried searching both part numbers, and can't seem to come up with anything.

What I will probably end up doing, is NOT replacing the lower mounts. That's too much damned work. Unless I can manage to find all the sleeves necessary.

Yep, I knew the bushings don't come with the sleeves. I also knew it would be a ton of work. That's why I haven't done mine yet. Just haven't been able to set aside another whole day or weekend for working on the truck. They are really bad now and clunk over any little bump, so this needs to be done in the next few weeks....but I also need to replace the engine sometime too.:(

On my truck, most of the bushings don't look too difficult to seperate from the sleeves. The truck did most of the work for me already. I'll be really pissed if the sleeves are damaged though.

I still plan to get the Daystar kit. I'd rather not use the factory foam rubberish stuff that'll break down in another 50k miles. Plus I need all the bushings, and that would be over $400 from a dealer. I might use the factory stuff if I can get it cheaper...alot cheaper.

Let us know how this works out. I tried ordering the daystar kit they had listed for the 01 sport a couple years back and they informed me it was discontinued. If this kit will work, then I'll get it. I know anything can be made to work but I'd appreciate if you guys keep me posted.

What's funny, is the body bushings is what prompted me to start working on my truck a few years back. I have all the performance parts, turbo charged and everything, but I still need to CHANGE THE DARN BUSHINGS!!!! hehe

how hard is it to change these bushings?. I can't hardly stand to ride in my explorer because it rattles so loud.

Hahaha, I still haven't taken care of this yet. The body still clunks really badly when I hit bumps, but it hasn't been a priority to fix. It isn't my daily driver anymore, so I forget about it until I drive it again. Just too many other things have pushed it to the back burner. It is in the plans for this summer though....maybe.

There are a few other threads here that cover the repair fairly well.

it will be time consuming.
you will need to tear apart the stock bushings, because you need to re-use the "cups" that the bushings are currently on.

so that's what.. 10 body mounts? x2, since each mount has 2 parts.

So 20 bushings that will need to be torn apart.

I managed to find 4 body mounts on ebay a while back, so that I can atleast get 4 done.... but haven't had the time to mess with that yet.

Back