• Register Today It's free!

Stock Roof Rack

spdy0001

Reaction score
City, State
New Cumberland / PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport / 5 speed
Well my 91 sport came with no roof rack, so I have been looking for used factory ones to mount on it. My question is if I get a rack from a 4 door X will it fit my sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should cause i have a 4 door and it starts at the rear doors and goes to right before the gate...it could be possible

Yes. I installed a 4dr roof rack that I picked up at a junkyard. I needed it to mount my safari rack. You will need the horizontal rails as well as the crossbars from the donor vehicle. You can find them on ebay, but be careful cause a lot of people just sell the crossbars...which will do you no good if you don't have rails to mount them to.
I pulled mine from a newer explorer and made sure to get all the screws and mounting hardware. You shouldn't pay more than like $30-40 bucks, if they want to charge anymore than that...go to a different junkyard. Racks are a dime a dozen at most yards.
Pay attention to where and how it is mounted to the donor vehicle so you know how to install it correctly on yours.
BTW, make sure to use silicone to seal your holes once you have them drilled and mounted. If not the first time it rains you'll leak :D

Thanks guys. I was looking for racks froms sports online, but I know there is a cheap junk yard right down the road that has a 93 4door with rack. I feel better getting it local

How do I connect a roof rack

I too have also purchased a roof rack for my '93 Explorer. It was one that was taken off another Explorer. The question I have is how do I go about connecting this to my truck? It came with (6) 1" screws but will this be enough to keep it on? Is there a block that these would normally screw into on a factory install? They just don't seem like they would be enough to hold this thing on if I screwed them into the roof metal. Is there anything else I could use to mount this so that the rack doesn't end up popping off?

I don't think there are any extra supports - the rated capacity is 100lbs, so if you wanted to carry more, you'd have to do some modification for stability, I would think.

Back