• Register Today It's free!

Stock Shackles; "Adjustable"?

Tommy2000

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport, 92 EB
I was under my truck the other day, and was wondering if anyone knows if you can change the angle of the rear shackle? It looks as though you could loosen the 4 bolts, and actually change the angle of the shackle to provide nominal lift, or in my case just level out the ride...any feedback?

Thanks,

T

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unfortunately no
the shackle swings back has the weight of the truck sits on the springs trying to flatten them out
then swings forward when the wheel is articulating down

to take out the movement of the shackle would be like having no suspension at all

however you could put in an add-a-leaf which would hold the srings in a more bowed position while the truck it sitting and still allow the flexibility of the springs
giving a little more lift and making the rear end a little stiffer

so, those shackles are supposed to move? mine must be rusted or something, b/c when I jack up the truck, I have never noticed movement there...

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers
Bosch +4's. Modified Airbox, Allied 8.5mm wires (Splitfire wires on order)

don't expect them to move much
but here's how to check

1. jack up the left rear until
the wheel is off the ground
2. measure the distance from
the bottom of both shackles to
the bottom of the bumper
(or hitch if installed)
record measurements.
3. jack up the right rear
4. measure shackles the same way

be sure to jack it by the frame

i've never noticed mine move either
and i was once thinking about the same possibility to get just a little lift
and i heard about warrior shackles made just for the explorer and they are real easy to install now my truck is level all the way around and about 1-1/2 inch higher than stock
do a search on shackles to read up on it

------------------
95 XL 4dr 4x4
1-1/2" shackle and twist
lift and level
daily driver

stock sucks cause stuck sucks

I just finished installing a 3" suspension kit from Rough Country and it came with new rear leaf springs, they already had the add-a-leaf installed. When I removed the old springs I also losened the upper bolt on the rear shackle because the new springs were shorter due to the add-a-leaf which made for more arch in the spring. When I lowered the truck on the new spring the shackle adjusted itself then I tightened the bolts on the new spring.

Just like eagle-keeper said "to take out the movement of the shackle would be like having no suspension at all"

FMNavjo 92'

Back