• Register Today It's free!

Stock shocks w/ 2.5 lift?

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
Is it possible to use the stock shocks with a 2.5 Duff lift? It would only be for a month or so. If not, what do I ask for when I order shocks? Do I tell them that I need a shock for a 93 explorer w/ 1-4 inches of lift? Thanks for the help, I'm getting the lift on Sunday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running stock length on mine with 2" lift, and it hasn't given me a problem yet. My suspension stops moving before I bottom out the shock. Now if I go to disconnects on the swaybar, that might change.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Will 2.5 inches be too much?

come on...! anyone else? please help!

You'll be fine. Only if you disconnect your swaybars and get into some offroad flex will you maybe have a problem.

Excellent, thank you for the response!! I'll stick with stock for now and (hopefully) pick up some Bilstiens when I get my fat tax return!

NO

No you cant run them. With 91-94's there is only about an inch and a half of extra travel in the front. The 95 on up is a different story. Go here and I have a part number for front Bilsteins that will work.

So can I use the rear shocks I have on there and just replace the fronts with the Bilstiens? Also, for anyone whos installed this lift, or others, will I need to replace the bushing on the axle pivot bracket? Does anyone have a scanned copy of the Duff 2.5 lift instructions that they could send me. I've already found http://mark.legendz.com/install/duff-install.html
Any help? Thanks

You can use the rear shocks but when the suspension droops, the shocks will hold it up. So really, you need all 4 shocks. If you get the Duff lift, then just use those shocks. In the Explorer Tips page there are instructions from Mat Riddle. But they are identical to the instructions that come with the lift. If you get it, and you need help, let me know. I will gladly help you.

more food for thought

The shocks used in a Rancho 2.5" lift and for a stock (91-94) explorer are actually the same part.. I didn't learn this until after I bought all 4 shocks.. and then found out 2 of them were the same as I already had..

I think that's because the Ranchos are made to fit 2" of lift.

Back