Stock Size Tire Rub 2001 XLT 4x4

mark3901

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Burnie, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 4x4
This one had me stumped for awhile...

My 2001 4D XLT 4x4 with the larger factory 16" wheels and 255/75/16 tire size was making some horrible sounds when turning about halfway to the right while moving in reverse since I bought it. PO had bought new, no front damage whatsoever in the life of the truck from him or I.

After replacing diff fluid and transfer case fluid (common answers to the symptoms I had) the problem persisted as bad as ever. Finally had someone get right next to the tire and watch over and over. Turned out the correct factory sized tires and wheels were contacting the lower bumper slightly on the driver's side causing a loud vibrating (almost grinding sound) as it skipped over the treads.

Best I can figure without exact specs is that the Kelly Safari ATR tires I put on in replacement of old OEM Wranglers had a slightly more aggressive tread which caused the rub and gut wrenching sounds. 20 minutes and a few washers from Home Depot and I shimmed the bumper out a few millimeters and voila it was fixed. May help anyone else stumped by a similar situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds more like the suspension has sagged over the years.

Keep in mind the age of the vehicle, and the mileage on it, suspension sags and drop, which is probably what happened to you, which cause rubbing.

Didn't have any rubbing with factory height and 31s.

Sounds more like the suspension has sagged over the years.

Keep in mind the age of the vehicle, and the mileage on it, suspension sags and drop, which is probably what happened to you, which cause rubbing.

Didn't have any rubbing with factory height and 31s.

Only problem is everything's new. I did Ball joints upper and lower on the front, Sway links and sway bar Bushings, and shocks front and rear as part of my refresh (all suspension components were bone stock). I didn't do tie Rod ends yet (no tearing in the boots or play) but plan to as preventative maintenance anyway, and alignment is good. Truck drives tight and rides as expected. It was a very slight hit just at the specific angle, but it was generally an angle I was at everytime backing out of a parking space.

Your leaf springs sag.

Isn't the stock size 255x70x16?
That would make the 255x75x16s you have 26mm taller than standard.

I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference though.

Only problem is everything's new. I did Ball joints upper and lower on the front, Sway links and sway bar Bushings, and shocks front and rear as part of my refresh (all suspension components were bone stock). I didn't do tie Rod ends yet (no tearing in the boots or play) but plan to as preventative maintenance anyway, and alignment is good. Truck drives tight and rides as expected. It was a very slight hit just at the specific angle, but it was generally an angle I was at everytime backing out of a parking space.

Torsion Bars wear out over time and need to be re-tightened. Leaf springs sag over time. Doesn't really matter if you did the whole suspension, it'll still sag from springs. :)

255/75/16 is not a stock size. As said above 255/70/16 was stock. Double check your door tag but I'm pretty sure the 75 series tires are what may be causing part of your issue. As also said above torsion bars can sag as well or heck maybe the mechanic never tightened them after doing the suspension.

Torsion Bars wear out over time and need to be re-tightened. Leaf springs sag over time. Doesn't really matter if you did the whole suspension, it'll still sag from springs. :)

To clarify I mistyped, the tires are 255/70/16, the truck came new with this as an option, also has the factory 4.10 LSD and initially that's where I thought the noise was coming from as the symptoms matched some issues with that.

I need to research the Torsion bars and how to tighten and to what spec as well as options on the leaf springs. Any opinions, new shackle versus leafs themselves? The mechanic in question will be me BTW, I handle just about everything I can with hand/power tools in my driveway.

Good stuff, I appreciate the answers and support!

Old sagging leaf springs in the back need to be replaced, or add a leaf. Don't put longer shackles on, that could just cause the leaf springs to invert.

Back