Stock Stereo in 2016 Sport with 401A package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Stereo in 2016 Sport with 401A package

Rohardi

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Infiniti Q50
Just wondering what every thought of the factory stereo in the 2016 sport with the 401A package? A buddy of mine has a 2014 explorer limited and he love his Explorer. His only complaint is the factory stereo, he said it was horrible and had to do a bunch of things to improve it. I have a 2014 Infiniti Q50 with a Bose stereo and it sounds really good and I don't want to downgrade in the audio department. I'll be leasing so I don't want to have to replace audio components as well.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No complaints here.

Just wondering what every thought of the factory stereo in the 2016 sport with the 401A package? A buddy of mine has a 2014 explorer limited and he love his Explorer. His only complaint is the factory stereo, he said it was horrible and had to do a bunch of things to improve it. I have a 2014 Infiniti Q50 with a Bose stereo and it sounds really good and I don't want to downgrade in the audio department. I'll be leasing so I don't want to have to replace audio components as well.

Thanks
If you are open to another trim, the Platinum supposedly has the best system. Give it a listen if you are interested in moving up.

Premium Sound from Sony® with Clear Phase and Live Acoustics
Unique to Platinum. 500 watts, 12 speakers including a subwoofer, new 14-channel amp. Includes Clear Phase® audio and Live Acoustics™ functionality to help reduce distortion and enhance sound presence for a crisp and clean listening experience. Clear Phase audio - Clarifies the source of the audio. It centers the stage and brings up the audio. If it were an image, it would be more of a pinpoint. Clear Phase is always on - no customer interaction required. Tuned for both driver and passenger. Also includes HD Radio™ capability with iTunes® Tagging.

Peter

No issue with my 2014 ltd 302a

If you are open to another trim, the Platinum supposedly has the best system. Give it a listen if you are interested in moving up.

Unique to Platinum. 500 watts, 12 speakers including a subwoofer, new 14-channel amp. Includes Clear Phase® audio and Live Acoustics™ functionality to help reduce distortion and enhance sound presence for a crisp and clean listening experience. Clear Phase audio - Clarifies the source of the audio. It centers the stage and brings up the audio. If it were an image, it would be more of a pinpoint. Clear Phase is always on - no customer interaction required. Tuned for both driver and passenger. Also includes HD Radio™ capability with iTunes® Tagging.

Peter

Can this option be custom ordered in a sport?

Ford doesn't allow much in the way of available options outside of what is in the group packages. My wife's Limited has more options on it than my Sport, but the Sport has the Twin Turbo and a few cosmetic differences. Most of the options that came in the package with the Limited, are not even available in the Sport, at any price. I believe that Ford Marketing has set up the various Explorer models in such a way, that you have to upgrade models in order to get what you want, ending with the Platinum, that has all the available options, at a very steep price. If you go for the Platinum, since almost everything is standard equipment, you might find that you are buying options that you don't want. If I had to guess, it might be that they have standardized the cars to the point that it allows them to produce cars at a faster rate.

I find that the handling of the Sport is identical to the Limited, with the class III trailer towing package. Having driven the 2016 Sport, and comparing it to the 2016 Interceptor package, in my opinion, they are virtually identical cars in power and handling. The Interceptor doesn't have any of the bells and whistles, but it is less than half the price of the Sport. Ford hit a home run with the Interceptor, and I think that in a couple of years, it will become as popular as the old Crown Vic Interceptors were.

Can this option be custom ordered in a sport?

Exclusive to the Platinum.....They won't add it as an option to the Sport, they want the Platinum to have luxury features no other model has.

I'm not sure what people feel is missing with the stock Sport stereo, mine is fine.

If it doesn't go to '14', then it's lame!
headbangere_zpsa2f11842.gif

Guess we're not 'head bangers' anymore...man
klosc6_zps0b307459.gif

My '15 Sport is ok. But you can't compare the Sony to the Bose in another vehicle. The Bose will sound better.

I am doing a speaker upgrade in mine as the OEM speakers are horrible.

If premium audio is important to you, then you will need to consider the Platinum or updating the audio at a custom shop. I have been pretty happy with the system in the Platinum...

stereo in my 2016 sport with 401a is good enough. It's not great, but its not bad either. It's good enough to live with. There is a lot of room in this truck to fill with sound.

If you are really unhappy it isn't too expensive to order replacement speakers for the doors.

stereo in my 2016 sport with 401a is good enough. It's not great, but its not bad either. It's good enough to live with. There is a lot of room in this truck to fill with sound.

If you are really unhappy it isn't too expensive to order replacement speakers for the doors.

I have the 9 speaker non-Sony system in my 2015 XLT, and I am not really impressed with it at all. The only time I can get great sound out of it is if I use my IPhone through USB an play from my files or stream over internet radio.it actually sounds better than FM.

Sirius XM is a whole other story, don't get me started on that. The sound is absolutely horrible, but that is not the radio.

Thanks
It's not a strong point of the car. I think the issue is the speaker quality versus anything else, though. Replacing the front component and center channel speakers would probably yield good results, you could do both for about $300, and the result would be completely stealth OEM.

There's some kind of attenuation going on at high volumes with the low frequencies. This is deeply inherent in the programming of the head unit and isn't easy to fix.

Gimmicks. What is needed is a powerful amplifier and a high quality set of speakers. The number of speakers is less important than the quality; a 5-speaker setup in a car (front R/L, rear R/L, subwoofer) can be made to sound fantastic.

Here's a nice long thread over in the "tuning" section on upgrading the audio. Lots of different approaches there, some people speaking from very informed positions, and others...not.

The premium sound for the Platinum is not a gimmick!!! Sound processing and the additional power is important. You can hear a distinct difference between the system in the Platinum and any other Sony audio in Ford. I have owned 5 different Fords since 2013 with the highest end audio from Sony for all of them and the Platinum EXP is by far the best. It is not even close.

The premium sound for the Platinum is not a gimmick!!! Sound processing and the additional power is important. You can hear a distinct difference between the system in the Platinum and any other Sony audio in Ford. I have owned 5 different Fords since 2013 with the highest end audio from Sony for all of them and the Platinum EXP is by far the best. It is not even close.
The power, I agree with. The processing, to each his own. I always seem to turn off whatever processing I find in audio systems; to my ears they all amount more or less to a smiley EQ curve.

I did think the DVD Audio systems Acura was using in their cars about 10 years ago were awesome. But that was more about high bitrate source material and less about adding something to the music that isn't in it.

The power, I agree with. The processing, to each his own. I always seem to turn off whatever processing I find in audio systems; to my ears they all amount more or less to a smiley EQ curve.

I did think the DVD Audio systems Acura was using in their cars about 10 years ago were awesome. But that was more about high bitrate source material and less about adding something to the music that isn't in it.

WJGreer,

I was not trying to beat on you, just trying to state that there is a big difference. Is the system in the Platinum the best system I have ever heard, no far from it. However, it is the best Ford has put in a vehicle, IMO. I would rate it inline with what I had in my BMW 750li, which was a system done by Harmon Kardon. I believe it had 13 speakers with decent DSP coming from the Logic 7.

I will most likely never have anything as good as the system in the 87 Buick GN.

Sony Mobile ES CDX-C90 (one of the best head units ever built)
Sony Mobile ES XDP-210 Pre-amp and 21 band eq
Sony Mobile ES CDX-805 10 Disc Changer
3-Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 amps
13 Speakers (Cerwin Vega Seperates in the front and rear, Cerwin Vega Coaxial in dash, Rockford Fosgate 15" Sub)

All this equipment was back when they actually made good stuff...Today not so much...

I will most likely never have anything as good as the system in the 87 Buick GN.
Forget the sound system - you had an 87 Grand National!

I've got a 2013 5 series now, with the HK audio. Its lease is up in a few months, and I plan to replace both it and my 2004 Explorer XLT with a 2017 Sport. It will be tough to give up the quality of the audio in the BMW, but it will be equally nice to be with my family in a nicer vehicle when we go up and down the hill on the weekends around here.

Maybe the Sync 3 system will include some improvements to audio quality, at least from the head unit. We'll see.

Forget the sound system - you had an 87 Grand National!

I've got a 2013 5 series now, with the HK audio. Its lease is up in a few months, and I plan to replace both it and my 2004 Explorer XLT with a 2017 Sport. It will be tough to give up the quality of the audio in the BMW, but it will be equally nice to be with my family in a nicer vehicle when we go up and down the hill on the weekends around here.

Maybe the Sync 3 system will include some improvements to audio quality, at least from the head unit. We'll see.

Still have the Buick (it is rarely driven) and it still has the system I installed in it back in the 90's...

The Revel System (in Lincolns) is an HK audio brand (that was the highest rated system recently by an Automobile Magazine). The BMW is using an HK Logic 7 system and it does sound nice. You will not miss it with the new 17 Sport as I bet you will be able to get the premium audio that is now avalaible in the Platinum...I liken the Sony's System to the HK Logic 7...To me they sound very similar.

""There's some kind of attenuation going on at high volumes with the low frequencies. This is deeply inherent in the programming of the head unit and isn't easy to fix. ""

I suspected this to be the case as I changed out the factory speakers in the read doors. How do we know this? Are there specks on the head unit I have not seen yet??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im hoping one of you parts gurus will see if the new platinum "amplifier/processor" is a direct swap for the sony premium. I have a 2016 sport and would love to just swap the amp to get the "platinum" sound.

FYI: I know they are the same but I found a noticeable sound improvement from my 15 sport to the 16

Back