• Register Today It's free!

Stock wheel specs needed.

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
I'm thinking about changing the wheels on my 96 XLT. Not because they are ugly or damaged but because Ford installed them on every Explorer for that body style seems. I'd like to go with something to make my Explorer stand out.

Here's the wheel I'm wanting to go with:

!Bj5J4tQBGk~$(KGrHqUH-EEEs+GEi5!uBLVRdOy76!~~_12.jpg

Would prefer to find copies or a used set (cash is tight) but there doesn't seem to be any used one on the market or anyone making a replica like the five stars I had on my Jeep Wrangler. Maybe they haven't been out that long yet.

Anyone know the specs of the stock alloys right off hand?

I'd like to stick with the same size, width and back spacing as the stock wheel. Mainly because I have fairly new tires I want to swap over and don't want to run into the same wheel scrubbage issues as I did with my 68 Fairlane.

Although my old '94 Jeep Wrangler was more forgiving when it came to using a wider wheel with a wider back spacing. Looking back at that picture sort of makes me wish I still had it, although it was so underpowered it wasn't funny. Compared to my 5.0 liter Explorer It had half the engine (2.5 liter), made half power and got the same fuel ecomony. Consistant 15 mpg.

It went great in one foot of dry snow with these street tires but my all wheel drive's, Subaru and Explorer would rape it going up hills in wet slush.

jeep1.jpg

I'm thinking these particular wheels maybe a perfect fit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414c567570

Why not get a set of Mustang Cobra wheels? A number of guys on here have done that, and they look good. Especially if you lower the truck a little.

As for the wheel pictured above, and in your ebay link: NO. 1.) The offset and bolt pattern are wrong. 2.) These wheels are NOT meant for a heavy SUV. They are called Rodlite for a reason. They are intend for lightweight streetrods. Even if you could get the right bolt pattern and offset, they would not be safe for an Explorer. As per the Weld website, the max load allowed for the Rodlite is 1200lbs/wheel or 2400lbs/axle. While the Explorer MIGHT just squeak in under this, this leaves no safety margin. It also doesn't account for dynamic weight transfer during cornering, or dynamic load just driving down the road.

Check out this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...alse&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand

I like the ATX Mojave-$149each, the Granite Alloy GA8 - $105each, or if you want chrome, the Ultra Type 164 -$103each, or the Ultra Type 5051- also $103each (This one looks very similar-style wise to the rodlite.

Why not get a set of Mustang Cobra wheels? A number of guys on here have done that, and they look good. Especially if you lower the truck a little.

As for the wheel pictured above, and in your ebay link: NO. 1.) The offset and bolt pattern are wrong. 2.) These wheels are NOT meant for a heavy SUV. They are called Rodlite for a reason. They are intend for lightweight streetrods. Even if you could get the right bolt pattern and offset, they would not be safe for an Explorer. As per the Weld website, the max load allowed for the Rodlite is 1200lbs/wheel or 2400lbs/axle. While the Explorer MIGHT just squeak in under this, this leaves no safety margin. It also doesn't account for dynamic weight transfer during cornering, or dynamic load just driving down the road.

Check out this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...alse&filterBrand=All&filterNew=All&sort=Brand

I like the ATX Mojave-$149each, the Granite Alloy GA8 - $105each, or if you want chrome, the Ultra Type 164 -$103each, or the Ultra Type 5051- also $103each (This one looks very similar-style wise to the rodlite.

What do these Mustang Cobra wheels look like? I Googled it and it came up with several styles.

As far as the Rodlite wheels goes, I did not realize there was a weight limit when it came to wheels. That may explain why Jegs sells two different star wheels. One is called Draglite and the other one just has their name on it. Yet the difference between the two is like $50 for the 8" rims. Perhaps the Draglites are not rated for street use.

I'd really rather have a set of chrome plated steel wheels if I can find a style I like. Yeah they are heavier but the are easier to take care of.

Those Prime 5 stars I had on my Wrangler required frequent polishing because they were bare metal.

Chrome wheels will rust but back in the 1980s I had a set of Superiors on my 81 Honda Prelude and as long as I waxed them about once a month they never rusted. Any rust that did form could be easily removed with fine steel wool and Turtle Wax chrome polish.

Yet my buddy had an 81 Mustang with the same wheels and he never waxed his and they started rusting within 6 months. But he also had some mangy dogs that would constantly piss on his wheels.

Whenever I'd go over to his house, they would piss on my wheels and it irriated me so bad I'd hang rags over the wheels/tires!

Since my truck is grey, something with a black center/polished outer lip might look allright. Like these:

asa_ar1_blk_ci3_l.jpg

EXEL-E-22-BK_z.gif

But once again, my Explorere may weigh more than these rims can handle.

Back