Stock XLT Grill for Eddie Bauer Grill Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock XLT Grill for Eddie Bauer Grill Question

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hello,

I'm [hopefully] in the process of buying a new-to-me 4th Generation Explorer and am torn between two trucks. For about the same price, I can get a very well-maintained 2006 Eddie Bauer or a lower-mileage 2008 XLT. Both have identical options. But I just can't stomach keeping the stock grill on the XLT if I went that route.

My question is would it be possible to simply buy an Eddie Bauer grill, remove the stock XLT grill, and swap in the Eddie Bauer one? The only thread I found mentioning this eluded to some "broken clips" which scares the heck out of me.

Also, I've searched some eBay sellers and the prices are under $200 - which I'm cool with. However, I noticed some Eddie Bauer shells have an extra chrome part that covers the bumper. Are there variations to the EB grills?

I had the same idea half a year ago. The choice was either to buy a 2007 Redfire XLT or a 2007 Dark Cherry EB. So my idea was to exchange the XLTs Grill for an EB one......

But compare XLT and EB and you're gonna find out EB will give you a nicer look, especially when combined with the right exterior color, just my opinion.

========

The other thing is the image. XLTs look more youthful in the complete monochrome look. Whereas an EB seems to be for the 50+ guys with beige pants, flannel shirts and tri-focals...

Hope this helps you.

In my opnion, newer vehicle + less mileage = better deal. If your big hang up in appearance is the grille, and you know you can switch it out, i'd go with the '08. I've got an '06, and if you read a lot of the posts on the board, a lot of the '06s have problems because they were the first go-around after redesign. A lot of the kinks have been worked out by '08. Buying an '06 with a decent amount of miles may just be inheriting someone else's problems.

Back