Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
At what point is a run not for stockers? Sure they may physically be able to make it through a run, but they may come out with damage to their steps, exhaust, tires etc. Is that still a stocker run?

I am just a little worried that folks who go on the stocker runs won't appreciate the battle scars from the trail.

The first night at T-haven we went on what was supposed to be an easy run through the wash and we ended up in a rock field. Xploder got hung up and got some nice scratches in his steps and I believe they were tweaked upwards a bit also. I know the Sport Trac also had the same type of damage and some ofthe guys messed up their exhaust. Not that anyone complained, but I don't want anyone to go away with hard feelings thinking we led them into something they shouldn't have been doing.

Is this acceptable for you guys or do we need to tone down the stocker runs to more of the fire road type activites with wide well defined trails and little if any chance of damage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I think it's a little arbitrary...I mean, I am a stocker (for now) and considering I own what could be the ugliest 1st gen. X out there, I don't mind body damage or scratches or anything else that doesn't put her out of commision, I actually welcome it. However my personal views are different than other peoples. I enjoy the harder stuff, taking myself and my truck to it's limits; but that's why I'm lifting it. Just my $.02

I do not want scratches or dents on the body, but things like running boads, tail pipes, tires, bumper scrapes are ok. But that is just me, the stocker runs in last years Moab trip I think worked out great, and if you do a few things to your truck to get ready before the run the run was a lot of fun. I removed my running boards on my 95 before the run and made some rock sliders for my rocker panels and came home with not not a mark on my truck it was great.

I'm more prone to damage than many other stockers due to my lack of a Tcase. But, while I don't welcome large dents or broken glass, scratches and the occasional whoops are ok. I have skids on the bottom, so that doesn't worry me. Basically I don't want to spend big $$$ on new body panels.

I think that requirements should be made to do certain club-organized trails. Like for some runs you must have a certain amount of lift, tires ect. But I think it would help with the break downs and problems. Just my opinion.

Kyle,
There are limits placed for some runs that are listed as for superstock, modified, big dawg, etc. However, I think there always need to be stocker runs (trails permitting) for those who want to run what they bought from the dealer. And usually there are some people on the stocker runs with more modified trucks to help out in case of problems.

Oh, and everyone MUST have the supplies listed on this site for offroading.

I too dont want body damage or broken glass on a stocker run. Now for the other stuff thats fine with me.
I have adequate protection for stuff underneath such as rock sliders and skid plates, etc. I have put a dent in the cat and crossmember, scarred my frame and cut my bfg at's the first trip out with them plus minor other stuff but I dont mind as long as i can drive it home and no dents. I think good examples of just tough enough but not too easy trails for stockers are ones like top of the world in moab and engineer pass in ouray, CO.

geez.. decisions..

Well, I would love to be able to do a little wheelin with just the stock X. But Im tempted to give it to the G/F and find either a sport to play with or.. I have the option of trading my 2 wd 87 Ranger to my sister for her 80 3/4 4x4 full size Ford trk w/460 and auto.. oh the motor has a crap load of performance shoved in and I guess its a monster.. problem is she lives in Oklahoma.. 1600 miles away.. what is a guy to do.. sigh

But yea, I love to see what I can get away with in my stock X around these parts.. its like a challenge
except for those DANG auto hubs..

Hmmmm, this is a tough one guys....The stockers are more prone to damage, but...It is up to the person behind the wheel to KNOW if he is pushing his rig. Instead of a stocker run, you might want to include a BEGINNERS run. Most of the trails in this part of the country have a bypass, so you have a way out. And, I have seen rigs with 2" of lift and 29" tires do some incredible stuff, with the right driver behind the wheel. When we do our preruns, we try to do it with one modified and one stock rig, that way everyone gets a heads up into the situations and conditions of the trail.
Just a thought.......

As a reasonably new member and the owner of a "stocker", I would say that yes I don't want body damage (but does anyone?).... I don't want leaking fluid, largely dented panels, or my wife complaining, (too much anyways). But I agree, that it is the driver who is in charge of their decisions; knowing there vehicle and their skill. But, I do not have rock-sliders or a gas tank skid plate, so those are MY considerations. But I did learn more about my driving and my truck on harder stuff than fire roads.... some dirt and small rocks in an area N. of Vegas (before my TT/Shaklz); and I decided there that my side-steps were expendable.
Can anyone tell me who the driver at Truckhaven was that drove their Sport Trac... I have some questions for them? Thanks.

i own a stocker and in warm weather months it goes off road an avg of twice a week.(and i love the fact that there's not a dimple in my body - thanks to dent eliminator) 95% of my off-road experience has been in michigan, the other 5% has been spread across WV, CO, & CA, and that was not always with my rigs, i know what i have come to expect in my runs isn't just fire access roads but also not "gee honey - hope you don't mind if the pass. door dosen't open for a month or so", here we deal with alot of wet lands/washouts but not alot of boulders, iv'e been stuck(buried) more times than i wish to remember(or forget), but living in a water-state(receding/water surrounding), we have the luxury that most of our exposed earth is soft.

It does make a big difference when you don't care about body damage. I myself had a minor one and I don't really care about any body damage. As long as I can get out of the trail, it's all good.:p

Becker, if your still free tomorrow we'll head up redington pass. :)

i guess the only reason i'm so particular bout my x is that it's only been mine(ordered-delivered), when i had my - brat/scout/power-wagon/sami - i really didn't care when they said excuse me to some friendly foliage, but she's never let me down - and i don't want to say i'm sorry

i always look at it as you take risks at what you do. If you take your vehicle offroad, then you risk the chance of something happening. If you don't want to accept that, then well dont go.
I think its kind of a catch 22. On some of the runs stockers can do the harder runs and it builds up their driver skill. On the other hand, they do take the chance of messing something up. Like anything in order to get better you have push yourself. For myself, i'm always having to focus on the right line in order to get anywhere. If you dont push and learn, then its hard to get better.
Like i said earlier you take a risk at anything you do in life.

Like he said... catch 22.... seems like it's up to the person, and their opinion... damage er no damage... I think minor damage like some scraped or small dings... no biggie in my book.
Pete

My .02.

I think if the run is defined as a "Stocker Run" then rig damage should be unlikely. Some challenges to offer the newbie or stock vehicle, but nothing that would wipe a nerf bar or fender flare. If that limits it to firetrails and scenic vista's, so be it. Having said that, I know that the "Stocker" trails around here can still scratch up your vehicles because you are constantly in the woods, and branches have a tendancy to jump out and grab ya ;). I agree that anyone that goes offroading opens themselves up to the possiblility of damage, but that's part of the sport. If you want to eliminate the possibility of trail damgage, stay off the trail. None of us want trail damage, but most of us accept it.

total catch 22.... i wholeheartedly agree with the last 3 posts.... at thaven there was peter and his ranger... no or little lift and 29" tires..of course he was a good driver and had lockers....... look at me... i was crazy with my stocker... but i dont care about damage...as long as i can drive it home....

Boy that's a tough one Rick. For me a stocker run is one that makes a stocker work while on the trail. I'm not talking body or mechanical damage but something that requires a little bit of driving skill and a good spotter. The possibility of damage is always there no matter what level of trail. I think that a stocker run can and should be quite challenging. On the other hand a "newbie" run for people with little or no off roading experience should be fairly easy, more like a confidence builder than a challenging trail.

Well, Rick, my experience at Truckhaven 2002 as a slightly modified stocker was good.
Brian was a good leader for the stocker run.
If he thought an obstacle was too hard, he let us know and there was always an easier route. I usually chose the harder route to challenge myself and my truck. Yeah, my step bars took a beating and if I didn't have a class III hitch the bumper would have taken a beating too.
I didn't hear anyone complain on the stocker run at T-haven. I think everyone accepted that damage was possible.
If someone doesn't want damage then they need to let the leader know.

My .02 cents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My definition would be trails that a bone stock vehicle can make it through without any damage. Not that there would be no chance of damage, but so that it is possible, if you take the proper lines at the proper speeds, to make it out damage free.

Back