Stolen in 60 seconds: the treasure in your car | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Stolen in 60 seconds: the treasure in your car

SoBeLover

Explorer Babe Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Have any of you seen this on the news?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23117250/

As prices of precious metals skyrocket, thieves are targeting an obscure component of automotive exhaust systems in lightning thefts that can be accomplished in less than a minute, police and automotive experts say.

The component is the catalytic converter, which has been a mandatory part of exhaust systems since 1975. Police across the country say they have seen a dramatic rise in thefts of the components in recent months.

If you peer inside a used catalytic converter, nothing looks salvageable, much less valuable. But some of the gray gunk in there hides three expensive precious metals.

Catalytic converters have only small traces of the metals — platinum, palladium and rhodium — but there’s enough in them for a thief to resell stolen units for up to $200 apiece. Rhodium is among the most expensive metals on Earth, commanding as much as $6,000 an ounce on the open market.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I just found my summer job...:shifty_ey

Kidding of course, but I didn't think a cat was worth that much

yogi_pahl

Reaction score
City, State
Athens Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
I even seen ppl clime the wood power pole b/c thear is a copper ground wire the runs down the side of them and ripe them off to sell.

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
I used to do side jobs at a scrap yard, and for cutting out cats I got $20 each.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
We were just warned to keep an eye on our vehicles at the firestation of all places because the Baltimore area has seen a rash of these. Since a lot of us drive trucks, we're pretty easy pickings. Our lot is also behind the building and while lit, is pretty secluded. They're supposedly using 18v 'Cip Saws.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Where would be a legitimate place to take a cat that the legitimate owner removed? I was sharing this story with my coworker who has several high performance Audis and he's actually removing the cat from one of them this weekend. He also has a full stock exhaust (with cats) from a 2000 Mustang GT that he removed when he put performance exhaust on it.

--Thanks Charlie and Techieman for your assistance. I think I know where to go from here.