• Register Today It's free!

Stop bumper access?

BlakeOfDoom

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
I just bought a 91 navajo from an auction, 4x4 lights do not come on, but the button makes the 4x4 relay click; I hear nothing from the shifter motor at all. After reading a few posts I believe it could be the stop bumper. Is there any way to access it without the need for taking off the whole motor?

I just bought a 91 navajo from an auction, 4x4 lights do not come on, but the button makes the 4x4 relay click; I hear nothing from the shifter motor at all. After reading a few posts I believe it could be the stop bumper. Is there any way to access it without the need for taking off the whole motor?

The bottom line answer to your question is no, you can't fix it without taking off the shift motor assembly. Now you don't need to take the MOTOR out of the shift motor unit, but you do have to remove the unit from the truck.

This is a very easy fix, it sounds way harder then it is, and if it doesn't work anyway, you can't mess anything up. So it a no loss situation. That like will get ya fixed up, I did it myself, but I'm pretty good with a wrench. I'd rate it a 3 on the 1-10 scale of difficulty. Changing the dash lights are harder then this fix.

The only tricky part might be getting that brown wire out of the wiring harness so you don't have to cut/splice it back together. I used a flat head jewelers screwdriver and the red retainer (you'll see what I'm talking about then you get into it) popped right out. Just make sure you keep track of that part when it shoots out! LOL

Easy, easy fix.

Back