Storage box on dash of second gen Ranger and first gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Storage box on dash of second gen Ranger and first gen Explorer

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
In my quest for more storage spots on the truck I turned to the dash. The 89-94 ranger and 91-94 explorers have a nice flat spot on the dash that is fine to hold pens on the highway but nothing stays there when off road. I decided to build a box to fit in this area.

Little time with cardboard and the computer and I had this drawing.

dash box by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

After cutting it on my plasma table I started to make the necessary bends. I need a finger brake as this was what I came up with to make a few of the bends.

20150929_142010 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Here is the box in position. To mount it I drilled two holes through the bottom and thru the dash. I dropped the glove box which gave me the room to put a fender washer and nut on the bottom to mount it. I had to grind a bit of the latch to allow it to clear the dash.

20150929_161041 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

That's pretty cool.

Thanks. Having ran the box for awhile I have a few things I would change. It is kind of hard to dig things out of because you cant see down inside of it due to the windshield being in the way. I would move the latch all the way to driverside then make the lid go farther down the front with the front side of the box being cut down. Should make it easier to see whats in and get stuff out. Also round stuff likes to roll around inside the box as you drive. Stuffing a rag inside stops the noise.

Back