Storage box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Storage box

EMS1313

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey gang,

Anyone know of a good storage solution for the back of my Explorer? I'm keeping quarts of oil and emergency tools in an old milk crate, and I can't find a decent solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Hey gang,

Anyone know of a good storage solution for the back of my Explorer? I'm keeping quarts of oil and emergency tools in an old milk crate, and I can't find a decent solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

I’ve been struggling with this for a while too, but finally decided to make my own. I custom built a box that is made from 1x12s. It is small enough to be moved when the 3rd row seats are down and when they are up it fits neatly behind the third row in the well.

It’s about 30” long, 14” high, and 12” wide. Interior space is 28” long, 12” high, and 10” wide with a hinge lid.

It’s big enough to hold all my car cleaning supplies, tool box, and accessories.

I covered the whole thing in auto fabric using gorilla spray adhesive. Added two eye bolts to anchor it when the seats are down, and added two handles to easily carry.

Sprayed the whole thing with some fire retardant and good to go.

Only thing I need to do is get a black strap instead of a green one so it’s a bit more discrete. Could have trimmed the interior fabric better, but…

44E234EC-92AE-41AF-806C-F380499F867B.jpeg E26FBFA1-E491-41EB-95D3-02C84455346E.jpeg

Back