• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Story

Tars

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Just a little story I thought some of you might find funny seeing as we've all had headaches with ball joints. I had the passenger side traction beam on my 92 replaced a 8 months ago, and had new ball joints put in that side. Well went wheeling in the early spring, still two feet of snow on the ground and about that much mud and water under the snow(hey it is the UP were we only have 1 week of summer :) ) Did some hard wheeling. On te way back home my truck was handling funny so I took it to have the front end aligned, ended up both of the new ball joints were almost frozen(not from the temp, from not enough grease) Took it back to the shop that put the parts in and they fixed it for nothing, turned out the grease zerks weren't letting any grease into the joints. Replaced the zerks and greased the crap out of them.
Took it to another place to have it aligned, I had moved in the meantime, told him what the problems were and everything, 40 minutes he comes back with a smile on his face and tells me what is wrong with my truck. He asks how long I've had my BFGs on the truck I said about 2 years, he says Wow the tire wear isn't too bad then, then he says and I almost quote, "There is about a degree and a half of neative camber on both sides...Typical Ford, tires are wearing because of that, I can pickup the front and tires come right back to where they should be, it wanders a bit going down the road...Typical Ford, has a bit of Bump Stear...Typical Ford, Had some vibration at speed, Ford never did fix that problem, we had brand new Explorers come in here in 91 that shook going down the road, so nothing odd there, all front end measurements are almost spot on except your camber and new springs will fix that, so What you have is a Typical Ford, I'd say just drive it, its safe."
So thats what I'm going to do, just drive my Typical Ford:p
Anyway just thought some of you guys would find this story funny.

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
:) Normally a ford mechanic gives you the line" That is a typical operating characteristic of your model of vehicle" HA HA

Tars

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I would have expected that out of a Ford mechanic, this wasn't a Ford Mechanic though, thats why I thougt it was funny.