Straight Axle Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Straight Axle Conversion

Reaction score
Just thought I'd let you know about my latest finding. I was looking at an ad for National Tire & Wheel (www.ntwonline.com) and found a Straight Axle Conversion kit that's being offered by a company called FABRITECH. The conversion is offered for 90-94 Explorer's, 83-97 Ranger's, and 80-96 F-150 or Bronco's. Check out Dead Link Removed. Unfortunately, my Explorer is a 1996.

[Edited by Axel Fernandez on 11-09-2000 at 11:52 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you may not be out of luck after all, according to this description of the same kit:

Dead Link Removed

still pricey...

Ouch!! I still see a HUGE pricetag for either one. For $3 - 4K, Id have to really, really want to do it for a long time and love it or really have to much money on my hands. I can see the benefits, but I don't know if I'd spend that much unless something was already wrong with the front end... wait a minute, it is a TTB, so that would already be enough reason..LOL Don't you hate being poor?

sucks to be poor.

agree with you on that one. i have an idea, sounds kinda crazy: would the straight axel setup on an early bronco work for a swap? my entire sus is junk as of now and i have access to an entire setup. would be a heck of a lot cheaper than 3k, but would it work? thanks for the input.

It's the right width (i think) but it's a low pinion with drum brakes. Still custom work involved, but yes, probably less than that kit is.

As far as the TTB goes, there's nothing wrong with it. In stock form it's not great, but if they had built the X with a solid axle, it wouldn't be great stock either. For general wheeling, a properly set up TTB is not at all a bad thing. The only reason that I personally am considering going to a solid axle is to get the stronger Dana 44 differential. I looked at swapping in a D44 TTB, but that's really a pain. I may yet end up with a built TTB though, we'll just see how things go.

i didnt mean that the TTB setup is junk, i think it is great. my explorer is a salvage vehicle(the only reason i could afford a 2001) and the front end is shot. since i have to replace most components, i was thinking why not go straight axel?

lol - my comments about the TTB were directed at Goober, hehe. If the front end is already screwed over, a solid axle would be great.

Back