• Register Today It's free!

Straight axle "kit"

Brandon@BTF-fab

Reaction score
City, State
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 ranger
How many of you guys would be interested in a straight axle swap kit? It obviously would still require welding of brackets and shock towers, and other fabwork, but it would make it a lot easier for you do-it-yourselfers. I'm thinking it would come with: lasercut axle brackets for radius arms, panhard rod and brackets, weld-on shock towers, radius arms, radius arm brackets, and maybe a new trans x-member.
Thoughts? I'm thinking somewhere around $2500-3k but not sure yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds good to me after seeing some pics of the finished product. And the only issue I see is are you going to make this for only one axle setup in mind or are you looking at being somewhat universal setup type of kit?

Sign me up. I would purchase one right now if you had it in production. Im sure there are alot if members on here including myself that dont have time or the knowledge to gather all the necessary parts for a swap. So having a "kit" is very desirable for people like us. Ive been waiting so long for someone to do something like this. Sooooo please dont be desuaded by anyone else.

If all goes as planned, we should have a '98 sport in the shop in a couple weeks. We will be putting in a wagoneer Dana 44. Since the radius arms and most of the bracketry will be universal, the main differences will be different diameter axles, which just means a different cad file for the weld-on axle brackets. I also want to see what we can come up with for steering box mounts that will be user friendly, since that's probably a little hard for the do it yourselfer. Hopefully we can make a kit that takes care of the main pivots and such, and will allow the installer to "connect the dots" so to speak. I'm thinking the Dana 30 high pinion from the Cherokees will be on the list of axles to use... I know they're not Terribly strong, but the bolt pattern and width is right, and they are very plentiful at the junkyards.

I dont know very much about this stuff but i do know that alot of the jeepspeed guys just truss their hp 30's and they seem to hold up very well. Seems like if the hp 30 is a plentiful axle and you guys decide to go that route you could sell a weld on truss kit as well. Just and option for us go fast guys.

Hope you get more feedback from more knowledgable people. Also what sort of setup did you have in mind (coilovers, coils, etc.).

I think this is a great idea for the most part. The only thing I see being a problem is cost. If the kit was a lot lower in price, I think it would sell better.

The hardest part is the steering mod for it, followed by the shock buckets, & the RA brackets to frame. Maybe concentrate on the hardest parts of the SAS only? Offer individual parts & a kit?

For myself, I would love to have just the RA to frame brackets, & Trans X-member.

Another thing that would be nice is a set of rear perches made that allows the axle to shift back a couple inches to give better clearance of the doglegs from stuffing large tires, and decent clearance of the rear bumper, plus made in a way it improves the pinion angles without using shims. The poor pinion angle kills the crush sleeve and seals on the 8.8 most of us use when doing a SOA.

IMO, ide build the kit to use full width half ton ford axles from a 70s truck. The D44/9 combo is easy and cheap to be had, stronger than the D30 and the width is nice. Plus the rad arms are already there so all youde need is mounts and springs and a few others. The more JY parts a guy can use and the less these guys would need from you the cheaper it could be for your kit and you might sell more of them.... YOu could also make and sell "fancy upgrades" to the big spenders but having a cheap basic "Gir-R-Done" kit would prolly sell fast!

I think it's a great idea....but think maybe what you are building as a kit should be optional as in specific parts the customer wants to buy. But I like your thinking, it will make the 2nd gen modifier have a little easier time when it comes to SAS'ing their truck. D44 and D30 are good axles to build off of too even though the 30 is not as strong but at least they're a dime a dozen and there are some upgrades for them.

Thanks guys, I'm taking note of the suggestions. Buying some or all of the parts could definitely be an option. Headed to the junkyard now for the d44. :)

so by the time i get out of college and hopefully have money for a SAS, this project should be in full swing :)

and maybe you could also sell the CAD files for those of us with access to a laser table or shop? might save some $ on shipping costs for parts

High steer brackets would also be a nice addition to the parts made. Maybe a few heim/Johnny joint brackets thrown in the bunch for 4 links, hydro steer, etc...

High steer brackets would also be a nice addition to the parts made. Maybe a few heim/Johnny joint brackets thrown in the bunch for 4 links, hydro steer, etc...

X 1000 :thumbsup:

To bad your in CA i would loan you a truck and a d44 for a prototype. x2 on the RA brackets and cross member (different on a ranger?). Also, do you offer tubular shock towers for coilovers similar to the dixon kit?

:thumbsup::thumbsup: id totally buy one depending on price...

Haha Not to bad for all of us :D good to see you on here Brandon, sending over PayPal for the axle!! can't wait to get this in your shop, its been a long time coming!!! So as I start this project here anyone have a doubler they want to sell before we make the new drive lines :p: ? And Just so you guys know so far am really impressed with Brandon he has had clear communication and on the ball in trying to make this happen!!

Haha Not to bad for all of us :D good to see you on here Brandon, sending over PayPal for the axle!! can't wait to get this in your shop, its been a long time coming!!! So as I start this project here anyone have a doubler they want to sell before we make the new drive lines :p: ? And Just so you guys know so far am really impressed with Brandon he has had clear communication and on the ball in trying to make this happen!!

So what you sayin, you are the donor vehicle? Not fair, just not fair. :smoke:

So what you sayin, you are the donor vehicle? Not fair, just not fair. :smoke:

:D:D:D :burnout: yeah I approve of that statement! although donor? if you look up BTF's work I don't think it will be a donor truck.... More of a work of art! The long travel set-up on a second gen Ex's is sweet! The rear end was genius :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they advertised on the web or pics available of the work done? I never heard of them until now.

I have been out of the scene lately ( a few yrs) with injuries and rehab from the war. And I probably need to catch up on the norm lately. That is why I am on everyday now. I am getting the X out of storage in the next couple of months as it has been in storage for over 6 yrs now. And I will probably have to take a new set of Super Swampers up with me as I expect the Thornbirds are probably dry rotted by now. :D

Back