Straight Pipes with Glasspacks

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
Yes, thats what im running now...

A buddy of mine had a flowmaster 40 series muffler that he wanted to give me to put on my explorer so yesterday we drove up to the muffler shop and they guy at the shop said that it wouldn't fit underneath...he also said that he's only worked on one 5.0 explorer before and he's will never work on another one again. Anyways he suggested i run straight pipes, if anything, so i let him cut off my stock muffler. He cranked it up to see how loud it was and it was just a lil bit waaayy too loud. I wasn't here to spend alot of money so i asked him what i could do to quite it down and the only thing he had that was free was two used good condition glasspacks.....so he welded them onto my exhaust and put "turn-down" tips on them. Its still pretty loud but its one of the deepest exhausts i've ever heard and its a MEAAAN sound. It still has that "airy" glasspack sound to it just a little bit, but its a very unique sound. Im gonna try to make an exhaust clip video for everyone to hear....DO YOU WANNA HEAR IT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be interested in hearing it. I have a 99 with a 5.0 as well but it isn't an Eddie.

i ran straight pipes for a couple weeks while i changed my exhaust. He is full of $hit when he says 40s wont fit, cause i have a dual setup with an "h" pipe too. I am very interested in hearing it though!

+1 on the lying

Ive seen people run true duals on explorer SPORTS, much less a 4 door

I've been running true duals with glasspacks on my X since May.

4-door
AWD

...love the sound.

Yea, i knew he was wrong, it was obvious. I think he was saying that because it was 12:30 and the shop closed at 1:00 and he just wanted to go home.

ANYWAYS, I'll get some exhaust clips up tomorrow.

That sounds f&*king sweet man. I now know what to get for exhaust. Sounds just like a 5.0 on a truck without a muffler.

Thanks, I love it. My girlfriend hates it though. It will wake up the neighbors if you get on it too much but its not WAYY too loud. The best part about it was that it only cost me $60.......the glasspacks were free because they were taken off of another vehicle so i only had to pay for labor.

that set up sounds great. Nice and deep

if wanted to put glasspacks on, would all I have to do is buy the glass pack (2.5 in and out) and just take off my old one and put this one in with clamps?

if you weld it on, can you still replace it if you wanted?

alright thanks. Would the 2.5 in/out cherry bomb glass pack fit fine?

Back pressure gives more low end torque I think and I also think they do flow better then a regular muffler but I'm not sure. I would think a 2.5in in/out cherry bomb would fit if all these other mufflers are fitting 2.25in in/out - 3 inch I think I've read. All this information is easily found by searching.

after a while glasspacks lose their "filling" and just become pipes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds good. now a question... glasspack on a 02 sport? Would it sound like a popcorn machine?

Back