Wanted - Stranded, at my wits end,! Any help.! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Stranded, at my wits end,! Any help.!

Parts or services wanted

happydave12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I own a 1995 Ford Explorer 4.0l Eddie Bauer. I replaced the engine almost 2 years ago with a used one from a junkyard. For the past 2 months it's been he'll to start and just a pain to drive. Okay so the problem is that it is missing on cylinders 2 & 6. Compression in #2 is only 30psig and the other 5 are all roughly at 180psig.i cannot get it started anymore. I'm now permanently physically disabled and even though it is very painful to work on my car, I receive less then 1200.00 per month to live on so paying for repairs is out of the question.
So here are specifics.
Prior to shutting it off 2 days ago I usually had to jump my vehicle with another for it to finally crank over during attempts to start I get several, powerful, explosions in the air cleaner passages.
2. It won't stay idling In gear or out of gear.
3. My gas milage is severely bad (maybe 5mph).
4.i can't get it over 60 mph on freeway and it can't climb most steep Hills.
5. The weird thing is even after the hassle to start it every morning the first 10 mind drive time is pretty good. At 10 mind it gets very bad (the idle and the stalling.
I've checked all vacuum lines by ear and with carb. cleaning spray(there were 4 leaks to start with, all on the lines that control air conditioning and heat
) replaced all of those lines. Which in doing so corrected an issue with the A/C I was dealing with.
I have replaced all of the spark plugs & wires also. I'm can handle any repairs that are needed however my last ride was a 72 F250 and this electronic ignition and components are a troubleshooting nightmare for me. I was a plumbing, heating & air contractor for 27 years so I'm no stranger to normal components (relays and such). If you could point me in a direction I would be very thankful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking that you possibly blew your fuel pressure regulator. Engines need to run rich at start up that's why that may be the only time it runs decent. A bad FPR will dump fuel into the motor and cause at least some of the symptoms you mention.

Okay, I was thinking fuel also but pump. I have a new performance electric fuel pump and filters I just picked up last night. Is the regulator in the pump that's in the tank or I really need to find a really detailed manual on this thing. So my plans for today is to replace the fuel pump and filters. I was planning on just abandoning the one in the tank just because I can't physically drop it. Then I'm planning on installing a new high performance pump right behind the location of the oem fuel filter that's original, that way I can do the repair and it's accessible for future. Any input on that would be very helpful. And I do appreciate your time.

I would think that cylinder with 30lb would be the first thing I'd go after. Backfiring in the intake could be a bad intake valve also causing next to no compression.

Back