• Register Today It's free!

stranded in my driveway

dbowling47

Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis,MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eb
alright 91 eb has had a surging problem for about six months with the stoplight stall a few times but other than that no problems,not bad for 297,000. Two weeks ago i go to move it and it stalls again and again wont stay running.Me being the smart college guy I am figure its the fuel pump lay down 200 hard earned bucks and spend an afternoon changing it,daoo not the problem.Having not learned my lesson trust my gut must be the Mas another 200 later still not fixed.Ok here are a few of the things that I did learn for 400 bucks. When I remove the entire air snorkel from the throttle body it will start and run but the slightest restriction to the air flow causes it to stall.any ideas????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dirty air filter? or possibly the throttle body is not opening?
Push the gas down (or rev by hand) and check and see if the butterfly is opening.

Have you checked for codes

I would start with codes. Even if the CEL is not on the computer can and will store codes. This is a good place to start. Also you should try to make friends with your parts guy. Mine trusts me enough to allow me to return parts if (or more like WHEN) I screw up. Pulling codes is super easy and should tell you something , let us know what.
Glen

Could possibly be a stuck or failing IAC, and they don't throw codes most of the time...

In all honestly, your truck is almost 15 years old with 300,000 miles. It's not going to run like it's brand new. There are way too many things to try to pinpoint. Get Ford or other expert to overhaul your truck if you have the money.

BeauJ said:
In all honestly, your truck is almost 15 years old with 300,000 miles. It's not going to run like it's brand new. There are way too many things to try to pinpoint. Get Ford or other expert to overhaul your truck if you have the money.

I tend to disagree with this, as I myself, and others I know have cars/trucks ranging from 10 to 40 years old and they run like the day they were sold. Only because of course, they have been well maintained and cared for.

Age doesn't matter on a vehicle, how you treat it and maintain it does. :thumbsup:

pj8847 said:
I tend to disagree with this, as I myself, and others I know have cars/trucks ranging from 10 to 40 years old and they run like the day they were sold. Only because of course, they have been well maintained and cared for.

Age doesn't matter on a vehicle, how you treat it and maintain it does. :thumbsup:

This was the first year explorer was built, so like others that are the first, there are imperfections. It's not the best build truck out there. Things are going to wear out after that many miles, it's inevitable. I have no clue if he is the original owner, but with that many miles and him being a college student, I'm guessing he's not. Therefore I don't know how the previous owner drove it.

BeauJ said:
This was the first year explorer was built, so like others that are the first, there are imperfections. It's not the best build truck out there. Things are going to wear out after that many miles, it's inevitable. I have no clue if he is the original owner, but with that many miles and him being a college student, I'm guessing he's not. Therefore I don't know how the previous owner drove it.

Granted, we don't know the history on the vehicle, and with time things do inevitably wear out. You'll get no argument from me there. According to the original post, everything was fine except for some "stoplight stalling". That doesn't tell us how it has been cared for, but it does tell us that obviously something has changed.

"alright 91 eb has had a surging problem for about six months with the stoplight stall a few times but other than that no problems,not bad for 297,000." Thats very true, not bad for that mileage, but again, we don't know if it's all hiway, or city. Mileage alone doesn't mean much, and before we go by year and mileage, and start recomending an "overhaul" on the truck, and possibly giving the poor guy a heartattack thinking about the possible costs...heh heh. lets start out like we would if it were a newer truck with the same problem, and I have seen the exact same symptoms on a new truck, so it could be something as simple as an IAC, or something as complex as loss of compression due to engine wear.

Simple steps first, lol. :thumbsup:

Very simular to a problem with my wifes car, 94 Taurus with 3.0. New plugs, wires, cap and PCV took care of it.

Back