• Register Today It's free!

Strang Clicking from front tires

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Today I took my truck in for an inspection. Everything was fine, no strang noises. On the way home I opened the windows and heard a clicking noise coming from both front tires. The guy told me that my back brakes just passed and my front shocks where rubbing the tires. I am guessing this means they need to be replaced. Not sure what this noise is. It sounds a lot like that clicking noise you get directly after you change the brakes. R I recently changed my front brakes but I have put 70 miles on the truck since. Any idea what this clicking noise is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have 4wd and are you sure your hubs are not locked? I have never noticed clicking after changing brakes...

Yes I do have 4wd. Not sure what you mean by are the hubs locked. I inspected all the log nuts and covers. All seem to be on correctly.

I'm assuming you have push button 4wd? Either way, your front hubs lock in (either manually or through vacuum via the push button) and from what you describe, it sounds like your hubs are still locked in. The clicking sound is likely the front clutches grabbing and releasing.

This is a constant clicking as the wheels turn. Like something is rubbing as the wheel turns. I looked under the truck but nothing is rubbing.

If this is what you are describing, will it go away? I never noticed it before.

*thinking out loud* It could also be CV joints, since it occurs constantly. Is there any binding when you turned the tire? I'm kind of interested in what your tech had to say about the tires rubbing the shocks.

*thinking out loud* It could also be CV joints, since it occurs constantly. Is there any binding when you turned the tire? I'm kind of interested in what your tech had to say about the tires rubbing the shocks.

Actually I believe he said that the shocks are wearing the tires. I took as though I need new shocks. It goes click, click, click as the tires turn. It speeds up and slows down as the speed I am going speeds up and speeds down, respectively. Last time I drove it, it was a little louder but at times it went away.

It could also be a rock stuck in the tread of the tires.

Jack up the tire and spin it. You should be able to figure it out that way. Maybe you have some rocks stuck in the tread?

EDIT: Diff Wack is faster on the draw...

Ok I cleared all the rocks out of the thread and took it for a spin around the block. As I drove it more, it began to go away. At the end, it was only slightly noticable. At the beginning, it was very loud and it seemed to mostly happen when I drove straight or made a right turn. It was much quiter making a left turn. The steering doesn't seem any tighter or looser than before. Also the breaking is the same.

I got to work at 4, so ill let it sit a few mins and then leave and see if the noise comes completely back. Ill post back later tonight if it continues.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jack up the tire and spin it. You should be able to figure it out that way. Maybe you have some rocks stuck in the tread?

EDIT: Diff Wack is faster on the draw...

Ill try jackin it up and testing it tomarrow. Thanks for the advice. My only problem is that at times it only happens at about 20 mph +

Back