• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Strange CB problems

DarthBlade

Reaction score
City, State
Dripping Springs, TX (just outside of Austin)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I just got my CB installed into my Ex, and I'm having some weird problems. First of all, anytime I activate my power windows, I get EFI. When I hit my mic button, my stereo gets about 10db louder. I'm sure they're all related to the last problem... no matter what I do, I can't get my SWR down below 9!!

I think i know what the problem is, which is just a bad ground, but I just wanted to ask the "experts" before I start unscrewing things again :)

TIA,
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

olemech

Reaction score
City, State
bradenton fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4dr 4x4
cb problem

do you have the power for your radio run from the battery. what kind of ant are you useing.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Lets start from the beginning...
Mount the radio against or screw through metal.
Run power wires, red power/black ground (12 gauge or larger), from the battery w/fuses on both wires positioned as close to the battery as possible.
Run a ground wire from a chassis screw on the back of the radio to metal and/or to the frame if possible.
Connect the mic to the radio, positioning the connector properly, (some have nubs, some are just pins locations). Some radios need the mic connected correctly to work.
Solder on a connector if needed to the coax and check it for shorts, if possible without an antenna attached.
Ground the antenna mount to the frame if it is not a magnet mount.

If the SWR is still too high then check your soldering and ground wires.

There is not a lot that can go wrong with a CB when you are just getting started. If you get noise, that is another thing.

Take you time and re-check everything.

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
1. What is the length of the antenna?

2. Where is the antenna mounted?

3. Is the antenna grounded?

4. Is the CoAxe bent, cut, good, bad?

5. Was this installed by you or a service person?

Good Luck. I'll be around to help if need be...

DarthBlade

Reaction score
City, State
Dripping Springs, TX (just outside of Austin)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Ok, I'll start from the beginning.

CB is a Maxon that I bought at Wal-Mart. CB is a mag-mount tunable with amplifier coil, also bought at Wal-Mart. I have tried putting it both on the hood and roof. Coax is 10' (i think, i'd have to check the packaging again). I'm drawing power from the fuse box, and have the ground wire connected to a cassis bolt inside the driver-side kick-panel (same place the alarm system is grounded). I had this same setup in my old '91 Ex Sport and it worked great (same radio, same model but new antenna). The only difference I can think of is I'm drawing from diff. locations on my fuse panel. I'll double check those connections, and make sure I've got a good ground and let y'all know what happens.

Thanks

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Me Again !

May not be the problem but try another antenna from a friend. Sometimes the coax in a packaged unit can be damaged and there isn't much of a way to check it.

Try grounding the chassis of the radio also, along w/ the black wire. Connect a wire to the back of the radio chassis to the grounding point.

If everything else is old stuff then it should work.

One more thing, when the radio is turned on, with everything attached, wiggle the mic connector, if you get an intermittent connection, then rewire the mic.

Good Luck,
:usa: :chug: :ca: