Strange Codes.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Codes....

KyleC

Reaction score
I mentioned in a previous post that I had purchased a code scanner for my '93 XLT and got a code 33 (I think) which is for an EGR valve not operating properly. Well, now I have come to the conclusion that mine is a non-EGR model. I have no EGR valve. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this... My code reader spit this out when I turned it on:

O-O-O---O-O-O-----O-----O-O-O---O-O-O
O = beep/flash - = space/pause

I tried resetting it several times and this is all it would do. This was with KOEO (Key On Engine Off) I dont want to try Key On Engine Running until I figure out what is going on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not too up on the code readers yet, but that may be a code 133 or 13. You could have missed a couple of beeps, especially if you are working alone and have to run from the cab to the engine compartment. I dont have a book to tell me what code 133 or 13 is.

I know I didn't miss any beeps, the code reader has a switch on it to turn it on so it doesn't start spittin' out codes until you turn it on. From what I understand it is supposed to give the current codes then a separator pulse followed by the stored codes. The strange thing is that when I try to clear the codes it does not do anything, the code reader says the same thing. Also, when the engine is running it is supposed to beep half the # of cylinders before it starts giving codes which in this case is a 3. That makes this even more confusing, TOO MANY 3'S. It could be giving me the engine code but it is not supposed to unless the engine is running. Maybe I'll try the KOER test and see what it says......

FINALLY! Someone who pulls codes other than O2 sensors! I have a '93 XLT 2WD. I've had a problem with my codes too and when I had them pulled, I got the same stuff you did. I got 3 codes. EGR valve not operating properly, EGR valve not working at all, and also a problem with the EGR vacuum. Now I'm about as dumb as can be when it comes to cars. So I don't have a clue as to whether or not my model has the EGR stuff. However, I am going to the dealer next Friday to get whatever is wrong fixed. I'm a single chic (hence no boyfriend to fix it for me) who needs her truck, so I'll let you guys know how everything turns out.

------------------

Let me know what you find out......still haven't run KOER test yet but will probably do it today. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Dead Link Removed

Thanks

Hey, Just looked at my truck's code yesterday and had a code 33 too. EGR problem. Couldn't figure out the problem but still searching...
Dead Link Removed

If I found anything I'll let you know.

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Well, it's fixed. It really was the EGR system for me. I took it to Encinitas Ford in San Diego County and from the invoice, this is what they did: replaced the EVR Solenoid and DPFE sensor. (I'm a chic and don't have a clue what those are, but ... hey, she's fixed, no more check engine light.) I don't know how much the labor was on just that because I had a bunch of other stuff done to her that I had been waiting way too long to fix. But the parts were: Sensor ASY-EGR Press ($63.14) and Control ASY-EGR Vacu ($32.58). (Remember, I'm just reading what's on the invoice). It didn't take them long to fix it at all. A day. So, if that helps anyone, then hey. If it doesn't, well it's good to know just in case. And hopefully when I go out of town next weekend to the charity event in Ocotillo Wells, I won't see anymore of that blasted light!!! :)

dsrtchc69,

They probably just removed the bulb from your check engine light Dead Link Removed...only joking. Glad to hear it is straightened out.

You would not believe how many people will remove the light just so they don't have to look at it. They seem to forget the reason it was put there in the first place. I know one person who's light came on (a different brand of vehicle) and he just drove with it for over a year. Said the light finally burnt out and now he misses it Dead Link Removed. I think it worried him more when the light went out than it did when it was working.

------------------
Ira
GO TITANS !!!
91 XLT 4x4

that code sounds like a 111 followed by the 1 separator pulse then the 111 for memory codes.. I'm not positive and I don't have the book in front of me to see for sure but thats what it sounds like to me.. especially if you erased codes, thats what should come up then.. Hope that helps.. I think the codes went 2digit on 91-93's and 3 digit on 93-? so a 111 pass code is possible.. ?

Back