Strange front power door lock problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange front power door lock problem

svtman

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited
Hello,

I've got a 97 Ex Limited with 5.0L. Pretty wierd problem with the front drivers power door lock. It started acting up a couple of months ago where the drivers door lock switch would not "unlock" with the door open. It would still work fine with the door closed though. Now, it will not unlock with the door open or shut, but it will still lock all doors. The passenger side will work to lock or unlock all doors though. I pulled the panel and checked the switch and it is working fine. I'm thinking there may be a shorted wire or bad module or something - any ideas?

svtman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the switch itself could be bad.
My driver's side switch doesn't like to always lock the doors... it's very touchy.

It is likely a broken wire in the door post area where the harness passes between the body and the door frame. From opening and closing the driver's side door, there tends to be fatiguing and eventually some of the wires break inside the insulation. Other symptoms also showup with the window controls / wiring.

budwich said:
It is likely a broken wire in the door post area where the harness passes between the body and the door frame. From opening and closing the driver's side door, there tends to be fatiguing and eventually some of the wires break inside the insulation. Other symptoms also showup with the window controls / wiring.

possibly.. but I think it's more of a switch issue... if the wiring is going bad, the switch wouldn't lock the doors. But I could be wrong, as I have no idea how the switches are wired up :confused:

Switch is good - I checked it with a meter. I'm thinking it is a wire issue as only one of the three wires that run in and out of the switch has power (the other is a ground). I'll have to check the other side door when I have a chance though.

as you have "figured", the mechanism is "three wires"... one has ground, one to "lock", one to "unlock". The ground is sent thru the switch to the appropriate wire to operate the lock / unlock relay which then sends "stuff" to the actuators at the doors.

I have the same problem with my 01 bauer and was thinking that it was the switch also.Now after reading this thread I'm not sure.How would I access the wires to check them before I purchase a new switch?By the way Ford sells the switch for $30.00.Does anyone know if it available elsewhere at a lower price?

I'd suspect a weak selenoid. It taken a bigger push unlock cause you're pushing all the weight up ... locking is easier cause you're just pulling down. probably time to start thinking about replacing them.

Larry,
Forgive my ignorance but do you mean the switch when you say selenoid?
Thanks Kurt.

The electric actuater that pushes up / pulls down the lock mechanism. They get weak after prolonged use. The same symptom can happen due to a bad connector also ... corrosion etc will cause a lower voltage to get to the selenoid and it can't push hard enough.

Your problem is a broken wire. Open the door all the way. There is a black plastic 'barrel' with a bolt on top and a rubber boot. Loosen the bolt all the way. It will drop the barrel down. I had to cut the rubber boot with scissors. You will now find the broken wire. After you fix it put some shrink tube on it to protect it and make sure you have plenty of slack. I used black tie wraps to put the rubber boot back together. You will be amazed how thin the wires are that Ford used. Oh Well.

Couple of ideas on your lock

My passenger side electric lock (solenoid actuator is the device that physically moves the lock assembly into lock/unlocked position) is an "intermittant" issue. After poking around, I found that the wiring connection on the bottom of the solenoid was falling out. I rolled up some 1/4" camper matting material and wedged it under the connector securely. 10K miles later, still connected, however, about 30% of the time, the solenoid won't push/pull the lock mechanism. I've lubed everthing that moves, and my next move will be to replaced the solenoid. No idea what Ford wants, but the local salvage yard sells them for $40. I was there today picking up a couple of other items and simply forgot to get one.

Back